Board index Botanical Medicine Herbal Medicine Making mixing herbs

mixing herbs


Post Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:53 pm

Posts: 243
Location: Rexburg, Idaho
On a recent plant walk Doc explained that if multiple herbs are combined the dose would increase to approximately 2 teaspoons. So now I have a follow up question:

1) How many herbs can be mixed together and still work well? For instance, I have an adult son (currently in law school) I'd like to make a customized herb mix for because he tends to get ill fairly easily. He eats well generally, so I thought maybe a good mix of herbs might help. We know he needs liver, adrenal, immune boosting support, and stress support.

2) Would it be best to use Alteratives for a time and then Adaptogens for maintenance? If not, would you please elaborate?

3) How long is the protocol for Alteratives?

4) And then how long should a person wait to take Alteratives again, if they were needed again?

5) How long (with the one day off a week) can a person safely take Adaptogens?

6) Are the Adaptogens, that are safe to take long-term, also safe for pregnant women?

THANK YOU so very much for creating herb-talk. I have received so much help and knowledge from the posts here!! I'm extremely grateful!

Post Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:14 am
IdahoHerbalist Site Admin

Posts: 1117
Annett used BIG, SCARY herbalist words!!!!! :scared:

Post Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:56 pm
Doc Jones User avatar
Site Admin

Posts: 1111
Mine in Bold. :)

annett wrote:
On a recent plant walk Doc explained that if multiple herbs are combined the dose would increase to approximately 2 teaspoons. So now I have a follow up question:

1) How many herbs can be mixed together and still work well? For instance, I have an adult son (currently in law school) I'd like to make a customized herb mix for because he tends to get ill fairly easily. He eats well generally, so I thought maybe a good mix of herbs might help. We know he needs liver, adrenal, immune boosting support, and stress support.

I generally try to keep a formula under six plants or so. However there's no reason you can't give more than one formula at a time.

2) Would it be best to use Alteratives for a time and then Adaptogens for maintenance? If not, would you please elaborate?

Alteratives support the body’s normal functions and feed it in a deep way. These should be the foundation of any herbal therapy. I often use them on clients to restore them prior to starting more specific therapies. They are mild herbs and can be taken long term without any bad effects.

3) How long is the protocol for Alteratives?

Take them all your life. They'll make you feel happy inside.

4) And then how long should a person wait to take Alteratives again, if they were needed again?

See #3. :)

5) How long (with the one day off a week) can a person safely take Adaptogens?

Adaptogens are also very mild and can be taken long term. I do recommend taking a day off weekly to maximize the effect.

6) Are the Adaptogens, that are safe to take long-term, also safe for pregnant women?

See #5. Be careful with adaptogens on pregnant ladies. I'd avoid the ginsengs with the possible exception of Siberian ginseng...and I'd have to think about that one and have a good reason for it.

THANK YOU so very much for creating herb-talk. I have received so much help and knowledge from the posts here!! I'm extremely grateful!


Happy it's helping. And please...let's try not to use more than one big herbalist word per post. It scares Steven. :wink:

Post Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:59 am

Posts: 243
Location: Rexburg, Idaho
Ok. But I thought it was quicker than explaining the terms. I'll try to do better next time for Steven :roll:
Thanks again. I'm truly grateful to be learning all this stuff.

Post Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:21 pm

Posts: 243
Location: Rexburg, Idaho
Is Calendula considered an alterative due to it's lymph draining properties?

Is it correct that plants that support lymph drainage is also considered an alterative?

Are "lymphatic/lymphagogue" used interchangeably with "alterative"?

Post Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:46 pm
Doc Jones User avatar
Site Admin

Posts: 1111
annett wrote:
Is Calendula considered an alterative due to it's lymph draining properties?

Is it correct that plants that support lymph drainage is also considered an alterative?

Are "lymphatic/lymphagogue" used interchangeably with "alterative"?


"Alteratives" alter you from a condition of dis-ease to a condition of wellness. Some lymphatics can certainly do that. I find alterative to be a fairly useless, catch-all term. Better to understand what the plant is actually doing than apply it as needed for those benefits.

Post Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:42 am

Posts: 243
Location: Rexburg, Idaho
Where can I find what the plant is "actually doing" on each plant I'm studying? Sometimes it's mentioned in the modules. Sometimes it's not--or I could be missing it:/

Post Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:22 pm
Doc Jones User avatar
Site Admin

Posts: 1111
annett wrote:
Where can I find what the plant is "actually doing" on each plant I'm studying? Sometimes it's mentioned in the modules. Sometimes it's not--or I could be missing it:/


The individual plant modules give much deeper detail. More of those coming.

Post Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:33 pm

Posts: 243
Location: Rexburg, Idaho
Thanks Doc! I'm looking forward to them:)


Return to Herbal Medicine Making