Board index Botanical Medicine Herb Cultivation/Gardening/Wildcrafting how much to grow for a family to use

how much to grow for a family to use

Grow yer own!

Post Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:07 am

I'm about to give up on the veggie growing and turn the beds to herb heavens.

I want to be able to grow enough of whatever I ending up choosing to grow to make at least a year's worth of medicine from each herb.
So I have to know how many plants of each herb to plant.

Given the variables that abound (light, space, water, latitude, etc.), there's no absolutely correct answer, I understand.
But is there a source that would help me figure out how many plants will produce such a yield? Even a ball park figure?

Example: I'd love to grow calendula, St Johns wort, marshmallow and others. How many plants will produce enough flowers to make enough tincture and oils to last the year?

I gotta start somewhere......I'm just wanting to grow enough for a family of two, not the neighborhood.

Thanks,
Martha
The best way to have a good idea is to have a lot of ideas first.

Post Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:08 pm
Doc Jones User avatar
Site Admin

Good question. It depends on how much you use.

A better strategy would be to make/buy tinctures until you have a year's supply. They have a better shelf life and you don't have to plan as carefully.

Post Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:11 am
IdahoHerbalist Site Admin

I would target a 2 years supply. That way if there is a problem one year you will have enough to get through the lack.

Return to Herb Cultivation/Gardening/Wildcrafting