Board index Botanical Medicine Herb Cultivation/Gardening/Wildcrafting Root Digger

Root Digger

Grow yer own!

Post Wed May 03, 2017 4:02 pm

Anyone know of a root digger that works well for those deep roots like dandelion and burdock? Or..

Any suggestions on the best way to dig them up without disturbing a whole shovel full of soil?

Post Wed May 03, 2017 8:11 pm

I'm looking at hori hori knives, especially the one from Garret Wade. Anniversary is coming up......
Google the hori review and find out about them.

http://www.gardentoolreview.com/hori-ho ... fe-review/

I have a gardening herbalist friend who swears by hers.

Martha
The best way to have a good idea is to have a lot of ideas first.

Post Sat May 06, 2017 2:38 pm
Doc Jones User avatar
Site Admin

Adolescent males work well for this too.

Post Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:03 am

That garden tool I listed above is GREAT!! :yahoo:
I think it can be found other places besides Garret Wade.
Martha

Post Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:21 am

Doc Jones wrote:
Adolescent males work well for this too.

ROFL, we REALLy need a like button. :rofl:

Post Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:35 am

Here is the amazon link to a FABulous digging tool. Best price I found.
My herbie friends tried it at a gardening clean-up event and they ALL loved it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AXB89PY/re ... merReviews

Right handed folks want the left side serrations. I got one for a present and the serrations are on the right side and I noticed that I kept wanting them on the left.
So I ordered another one with the serrations where I want them.

Post Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:56 am
Doc Jones User avatar
Site Admin

Nifty. :)

Post Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:36 am

Thanks Martha!!

Have any of you done a video (or know of one) showing how to use the serrated digging tool or the like? I'd like to see it done in ground that's not super easy to get the root out of. The only ones I found on youtube don't show it. And even the digging ones show the digging in easy-to-dig ground. I was hoping maybe the digging tool Martha referenced would do the job, and I'd like to see how it's done.

Also, does the digging tool only go as deep as the top of the blade? In the photo it looks like there is a piece that would stop the blade from going any deeper.

Post Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:50 am
IdahoHerbalist User avatar
Site Admin

The Amazon one looks exactly like the Garret one. What is the big difference?

Post Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:49 pm

The Lesche brand gets better reviews. Something to do with the welds or steel or something.....

But .... is the Garret the same as the Garret Wade one? I dunno.

However, I ordered this one from Garrett Wade for what ended up with shipping being something like $80. It was an anniversary present or I wouldn't have done it. (At that time I also didn't realize that serrations could be on either side and I got what they sent, which turned out to be the one on the right side, out of ignorance.)
What I received was the Lesche.
http://northcoastgardening.com/2012/10/ ... ging-tool/

And then I ordered another exact same thing - left side serrations this time - from Amazon for around $40. No shipping. Remember to get the serrations on the correct side.
I admit I like having two with opposite sides serrations. But I leave the right sided one in the bucket unless specifically needed.

I carry it -the left sided one since I'm right handed - with me whenever I'm outside, that and my Swiss Army knife in my pocket, and a pair of small Fiskar clippers in my garden shirt pocket.
I use it a whole lot more than I expected to, from prying out roots and smaller rocks to weeding chickweed out of my flower bed, to transplanting small plants, o digging up Queen Anne's lace roots and dandelions in my gravel driveway, to drawing lines for planting seeds.....

Gonna give one to my sister for her birthday.

Martha

Next

Return to Herb Cultivation/Gardening/Wildcrafting