Board index Botanical Medicine Herb Cultivation/Gardening/Wildcrafting Harvesting Burdock Seed

Harvesting Burdock Seed

Grow yer own!

Post Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:02 pm

I left a few rows of last year's burdock to seed this year. There are dangers of harvesting the seed due to the risk of inhaling burr fragments or getting them lodged in delicate tissues. While I will suit up with something like hazmat garb, I am still pondering my methods. While a few resources mention using larger equipment, our farm hasn't scaled up enough to purchase any of these yet. I'm thinking a good old fashioned stomping/pounding in a tarp and winnow with a box fan. Anyone have thoughts/experiences? Thanks!

Post Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:10 am
IdahoHerbalist User avatar
Site Admin

Not at that level!!!!

I concur on being VERY careful when working with the seed pods. It is like working with fiberglass insulation.

Post Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:32 pm

I think 7Song's way of doing it is as good as any: http://7song.com/wresting-burdock-seed- ... inal-uses/

Post Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:15 am
IdahoHerbalist User avatar
Site Admin

There are medicinal plants that do similar things with less hassle and danger. Actually, Burdock ROOT is just as good or better.

Post Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:27 pm
Doc Jones User avatar
Site Admin

IdahoHerbalist wrote:
There are medicinal plants that do similar things with less hassle and danger. Actually, Burdock ROOT is just as good or better.

The seeds have some cough suppressing actions that the root lacks. But again, there are better and easier cough suppressant out there as well (wild Cherry bark, mullien etc...).

Doc

Post Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:51 pm

This is what is growing in my yard. It looks like burdock up close but I've never seen a burdock look so bushy. Is this really burdock, the one where I should harvest the root?

And, what is the best time to plant burdock seeds? Fall?
Attachments
burdock stock talk.JPG
burdock stock talk.JPG (53.92 KiB) Viewed 167 times
IMG_6169.JPG
IMG_6169.JPG (46.3 KiB) Viewed 167 times
Small.JPG
Small.JPG (87.29 KiB) Viewed 167 times

Return to Herb Cultivation/Gardening/Wildcrafting