Board index Botanical Medicine Medicinal Herbs Chamomile for Anxiety

Chamomile for Anxiety

General discussion of medicinal plants and their use.

Post Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:00 pm

I have been taking an SSRI for years to reduce anxiety but lately I have felt I needed a little more help. I read an article about a double blind study done by the University of Pennsylvania that said that Chamomile Flowers could help with anxiety reduction. After a bit of research I found that the active ingredient in Chamomile Flowers is Apigenin. Information I found on the Examine.com web site says: "For anxiolytic effects, doses in the range of 3-10 mg/kg bodyweight are effective without sedation, and higher doses induce sedation in addition to reductions in anxiety". What do you suggest I take to get to a dose of 10mg/kg body weight?

Post Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:04 am
Doc Jones User avatar
Site Admin

Johnr9q wrote:
I have been taking an SSRI for years to reduce anxiety but lately I have felt I needed a little more help. I read an article about a double blind study done by the University of Pennsylvania that said that Chamomile Flowers could help with anxiety reduction. After a bit of research I found that the active ingredient in Chamomile Flowers is Apigenin. Information I found on the Examine.com web site says: "For anxiolytic effects, doses in the range of 3-10 mg/kg bodyweight are effective without sedation, and higher doses induce sedation in addition to reductions in anxiety". What do you suggest I take to get to a dose of 10mg/kg body weight?

I would get some chamomile and work your way up gradually until you get the effect you want.

Return to Medicinal Herbs