Board index Botanical Medicine Essential Oils Essential oil distiller

Essential oil distiller

Not sure if these are actually essential, but they are danged handy

Post Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:15 am
IdahoHerbalist Site Admin

Was getting ready to send you an email on just that topic. I think we should start with something in the essential oil realm before we branch out to the REAL reason you got it, right? :blink:

Post Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:18 am
Fey

Make sure you put up lots of notes and photos. I can't wait to see how you go with it.

Post Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:47 pm
Doc Jones User avatar
Site Admin

IdahoHerbalist wrote:
Was getting ready to send you an email on just that topic. I think we should start with something in the essential oil realm before we branch out to the REAL reason you got it, right? :blink:

Errr...yeah...yeah...right....essential oils! :nod:

Doc

Post Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:02 pm
Fey

Now now guys....people will think you're a pair of rednecks :roll:

The still could come in handy for so many things:

Alcohol for tincture making.... no....stop it....tincture making I'm telling you.... :rant:
Essential oils
Medicinal hydrosols

Post Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:21 am

Fey wrote:
Now now guys....people will think you're a pair of rednecks :roll:

Now why would they have to THINK we were rednecks? Where we live that is the norm. :love:

Post Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:00 am
Fey

But you sound so civilised :confused: :LOL:

Speaking of redneck (yes, here's me going off on a tangent again with a bit of trivia), I read somewhere that sesame oil has PABA in it and that it makes a good sunscreen. I'll have to remember to look that up again.

Post Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:11 pm

Chiming in much later on this thread.....
I'd be interested in how this distiller has worked.
Was this non-electric?
I'm looking for the optimal combo of distilling for water and for essential oils.
May be impossible.

Thanks.
PS - this is my first post. :clap:
The best way to have a good idea is to have a lot of ideas first.

Post Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:50 am

It worked well. Did decent on lavender and was doing good on Cloves before I let it run out of water and damaged it. It is being repaired now.

Post Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:37 am

A few months ago, my cousin (who lives mostly in Ecuador) sent me pictures of an essential oil rig he made using a pressure cooker and other attachments. He is now in the states for a short while and I suggested maybe we could make one for me... The problem is, the pressure cookers I have are aluminum and I don’t like to cook with or use aluminum pots and pans. I’m not sure how much it would contaminate the end products, but I’d rather not go to the work of making them and then not really want to use them.

I’m very interested in your set-up and where a person might find one. Any updates on your essential oil adventures or recommendations on a still? (I would need a non-electric one as I am off grid.)

I am also interested in making distilled water for soap-making. Soap recipes call for distilled water. I have been able to use my spring water without a problem, but making distilled water for certain purposes would be a good thing too.

Previous

Return to Essential Oils