Board index The Market Place Commercial Posts state business licence

state business licence

A place to peddle commercial goods and services. Follow the rules.

Post Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:55 pm

Posts: 10
I need some education on what I need for a business licence. What I want is a way to write off my expenses and legally sell what I produce in way of herbs and even garden produce. I want a business licence so that I can write off the hundred of dollars I am about to plant in the next few months. I am not really sure how things will evolve. Can anyone instruct me?

Post Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:02 am
IdahoHerbalist Site Admin

Posts: 1117
You will need to contact your county about that.

I know in some cases you do not need a business license to write off business expenses. I know when we were in Amway (WHAT?) we did not need a business license to write off expenses.

Post Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:49 pm
Doc Jones User avatar
Site Admin

Posts: 1107
I run (and have run) several businesses. I've never had a business license. Depending on your state, some states require a
"seller's permit" if you're going to sell at an event so they can keep track of sales taxes you owe them. You can contact your state tax commission for information of sales tax collection.

The best source of information business entities is to contact your state secretary of state's office. They handle all of that sort of thing. I recommend getting an LLC for most small business scenarios. Sometimes just a DBA is enough. Neither one is expensive or hard to do. Your secretary of state office will handle both.


Post Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:54 pm

Posts: 10
Thanks so much!

Return to Commercial Posts