Board index Botanical Medicine Herbal Medicine Making Preservation of lotions and salves

Preservation of lotions and salves

Post Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:30 pm
IdahoHerbalist User avatar
Site Admin

Isn't the fat something we want that is nourishing and helpful? Nothing mentioned about what is left behind either.

Post Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:09 pm

Wow! Super! Thanks MsLinda.

Post Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:20 pm
Doc Jones User avatar
Site Admin

MsLinda wrote:
If you make a lot of salves or lotions like I do and buy large quantities of various oils to make them out of try this information from the herbalist Jim McDonald's web site to keep them from getting rancid in storage. It works great! Here is the link: http://herbcraft.org/slipperyelm.html

That's very interesting. Jim McDonald is a great fellow. I have that old book myself. I should spend more time reading it...as soon as I get ten minutes. :)

Doc

Post Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:45 pm

I often use some balm of gilead (poplar bud infused oil) in my creams, lotions, serums and salves. Not only is it fabulous for skin but also the stuff never goes bad. Heavenly fragrance too.

Post Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:09 am

By the way, for those of you who know and love Jim McDonald, he had a massive heart attack in May, and his surviving was considered a miracle. He is healing but has a long way to go and he and his family would welcome your thoughts and prayers.

Post Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:22 am
IdahoHerbalist User avatar
Site Admin

You are talking about the flower buds of Poplar, right? What about cottonwood buds?

Previous

Return to Herbal Medicine Making