Board index Botanical Medicine Chinese Herbalism & Acupuncture Fo-ti a.k.a. Polygonum multiflorum or He Shou Wu

Fo-ti a.k.a. Polygonum multiflorum or He Shou Wu

Yin, Yang, Qi, fire in yer kidneys, snowballs in yer gizzard etc...

Doc Jones User avatar
Site Admin

Fey wrote:
It seems like a lota guys wanna take credit for discovering this herb; here's another one...

Ho-Shou began with the legend of the impotent Chinese man who was 58 years old and was trapped by a flood in the mountains for seven days. The only food he ate was the Fo-ti herb, later known as Ho-Shou-Wu. He developed a strong sexual desire and fathered several offspring. One of which was named Ho-Ven-Shiu which was an outstanding offspring who lived to be 160 years of age. Hisson Ho-Shou-Wu lived to the age of 130 and died with black hair. A modern Chinese herbalist Li-Chung-Vun lived 256 years of age, was married 24 times and looked like a young man of 50 when he died. His secret: one should have a quiet heart, sit calmly like a tortoise, walk sprightly like a pigeon, and sleep soundly like a dog. He drank Ho-Shou-Wu and ginseng daily.

It's the 256 year old guy that I first heard about. They reckon they had proof of his age. He apparently was a veggie, never ate underground plants except Ginseng and Fo-ti and died from eating a piece of pork at the Emperor's banquet.

I'll have to work on my tortoise sitting. :)

Doc

Doc Jones User avatar
Site Admin

Wow! Great article Fey. Thank-you. (Two posts back for those that missed it)

Looks like I'll have to plant more of it and learn to do the bean boil. :)

You know, I've been thinking about your experience with poking the P. multiflorum stem in the dirt and having it root..

If the root is the medicine, it would make sense to grow the vine out and then put it on the ground covering a section every foot or so with dirt so that it would root. Seems like you could produce a lot more root matter in less space that way. :thumb:
I'm going to have to do some experimenting with this in the spring.

There's a guy down the road from me that grows hops (presumably for making beer). He ties the vine to a string which runs through a pulley in a frame high above. As the vine grows, he shortens the string to keep it rising/growing. This keeps it from entangling itself with a frame of some kind. THis would be a good technique for medicinal vines for which the leaf or vine were the medicine but it would also work great for this Fo-Ti experiment of mine....hmmm...I'll have to get working on a vine stretcher.

Doc

IdahoHerbalist User avatar
Site Admin

Hey, don't make me split this off into a propagation thread!!!!!! :wall:

Doc Jones User avatar
Site Admin

IdahoHerbalist wrote:

It's Fey's fault! She's the one that poked the stem in the dirt!

Doc

Fey

Doc Jones wrote:
IdahoHerbalist wrote:

It's Fey's fault! She's the one that poked the stem in the dirt!

Doc

The butterfly effect....I poke a stem in the ground.....sends IdahoHerbalist crazy :)

I've been trying for a while to see the difference between White Moth Plant and Fo-ti. It wasn't until I took this photo that the differences became very clear. I'm holding the Fo-ti.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (114.06 KiB) Viewed 3020 times

Fey

Doc Jones wrote:
If the root is the medicine, it would make sense to grow the vine out and then put it on the ground covering a section every foot or so with dirt so that it would root. Seems like you could produce a lot more root matter in less space that way. :thumb:

There's a guy down the road from me that grows hops (presumably for making beer). He ties the vine to a string which runs through a pulley in a frame high above. As the vine grows, he shortens the string to keep it rising/growing. This keeps it from entangling itself with a frame of some kind. THis would be a good technique for medicinal vines for which the leaf or vine were the medicine but it would also work great for this Fo-Ti experiment of mine....hmmm...I'll have to get working on a vine stretcher.

Doc

That's a really good idea with the Fo-ti. I was going to just let it keep suckering but we'd get way more roots layering it. I NEED MORE GARDENS!! :nod:
What a strange idea about the vine pulley. Medicinal vine leaves like Jiaogulan might be ok with that idea. They tend to get entangled in other plants. It would make harvesting easier....and who doesn't want A LOT of Jiaogulan?
It could be good for harvesting passion flowers too. Lots of potential.....

Doc Jones User avatar
Site Admin

Fey wrote:
Doc Jones wrote:

Doc

That's a really good idea with the Fo-ti. I was going to just let it keep suckering but we'd get way more roots layering it. I NEED MORE GARDENS!! :nod:
What a strange idea about the vine pulley. Medicinal vine leaves like Jiaogulan might be ok with that idea. They tend to get entangled in other plants. It would make harvesting easier....and who doesn't want A LOT of Jiaogulan?
It could be good for harvesting passion flowers too. Lots of potential.....

I'll get some pictures of it this summer when he gets going again. Took me the longest time to figure out what the heck he was doing as I drove by his place every week or so.

Doc

Previous

Return to Chinese Herbalism & Acupuncture