Board index Botanical Medicine Herb Cultivation/Gardening/Wildcrafting Arnica in the garden

Arnica in the garden

Grow yer own!

Post Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:18 pm

Hi Doc, I saw that you grow Arnica in your garden!? do you live so far up in the mountains? :scared: Here Arnica grows only above 1000 mt and is a protected species so I cannot just harvest that. I would like to grow it myself but... I live at 500 mt.
I have read that Arnica Montana and Angustifolia have the same properties, but do you happen to know if the Angustifolia grows at a lower altitude? Which species do you grow?
many thanks!
Marisa from Italy

Post Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:41 pm
IdahoHerbalist User avatar
Site Admin

Most plants have an amazing ability to adapt to new climates and even soil types. When I want to grow something I buy a little seed or a couple of plants and try them. I am successful in the vast majority of cases. Goldenseal is one of the only ones I have not been particularly successful with. It went three years before dying out.

If you have access to plants I would say try them and see what happens! Experiment and share your experiences.

Post Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:22 pm
Doc Jones User avatar
Site Admin

Arnica prefers higher elevations in nature but does fine elsewhere. It will probably be perfectly happy at your place.

Return to Herb Cultivation/Gardening/Wildcrafting