Board index Botanical Medicine Plant Identification What weeds are these?

What weeds are these?

A place to figure out what it is BEFORE you poke it in your mouth.

Post Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:19 pm

I was wondering if you could help me identify some if the weeds in my yard

Jan

All I know about these is that they HURT when you step on them barefoot! Anything good about them??

Jan

I'm pretty sure this is nightshade with purple flowers and red berries. It grows all over my kid's playhouse We've been decorating mud pies with them for years! I just found out that they're poisonous!!! Along with the crown vetch growing all along the ground around it ..... sigh..... They're both such pretty plants that I was happy to let them grow..... FOR YEARS! Glad I didn't poison any neighborhood kids not to mention my own!

Jan

Crown vetch.... it's so pretty especially when it's coveted with pale purple flowers.... I'm gonna miss it... :/

Jan

IdahoHerbalist User avatar
Site Admin

Split this off into its own thread.

2 is foxtail grass. BAD STUFF

3 is Lamb's Quarters. Edible

The thistle is Bull Thistle I think. Parts are edible but not worth it as far as I care.

That one does look like nightshade. The berries, like tomatoes, are purported to be edible.

Getting ready for work will bet to more later.

Thank you so much! I hope I'm not being annoying with all the questions. It's just so exciting to have someone that I can ask instead of spending countless hours online wondering if my plants match any of the pictures! Btw... I did taste a red nightshade berry once. Barely touched the tip of my tongue to see if it was bitter. It WAS! And my tongue went numb! That's when I decided to just stick to decorating mud pies with them! Lol :/

Jan

Next

Return to Plant Identification