Board index Gardening & Food Preservation Food Preservation & Storage Fermentation is EASY!

Fermentation is EASY!

Putting some away for a rainy day

Post Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:16 am

Yes, it is easy! I currently have a jar of dark rye sourdough starter (for my gluten eaters) and a jar of gluten free sourdough starter (for myself) in the refrigerator. If I had known sourdough was this easy, I would have been making sourdough bread 25 years ago! I just made myself some gluten free hamburger buns today, with gluten free sourdough starter. They are very good! :)

I now have a ginger bug happily bubbling away in my cupboard, and a bottle of homemade ginger ale (with lemon balm tea) carbonating in the refrigerator. I've tasted it, and it is coming along nicely. :)

Post Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:27 am
IdahoHerbalist User avatar
Site Admin

Renee is gluten intolerant. She only takes a VERY small piece of the Sacrament bread or it affects her. She ferments anything she wants and is able to eat it. The idea is that the fermenting process pre digests or converts the gluten to make it easier to digest. The theory (and her experiences with it) have proven that out.

Post Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:21 am

Has she been tested for celiac disease? If she in fact has celiac disease, then even the smallest amount of gluten will cause damage to the small intestine, even if she is not having a noticeable reaction. (Even if it is fermented) Celiac Disease is not something you can circumvent. Don't mess with it. Just avoid gluten. (However, fermented foods and other probiotics can aid in healing and regrowing the villi) If she has not been tested, it's quite simple. It's a blood test. Ask for the FULL panel. There's six different tests, not just two, like a lot of doctors order. If the blood work comes up with a positive, then the next step is an endoscopy. Endoscopy will not only confirm the result, but also assess the severity of damage to the small intestine. You must be eating gluten everyday, no matter how sick it makes you, to get an accurate test. Celiac Disease is a genetic, autoimmune disorder. People with first degree relatives with any autoimmune disease are at greater risk of developing celiac. A diagnosis of celiac disease is permanent, as is a gluten free diet. I just thought you should know.
Last edited by Fundog on Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:31 am

I thought I should add, in case you didn't know: in celiac disease, antibodies are formed against the gluten that then start destroying the villi. It has nothing to do with digestibility. It's all about the immune system.

Previous

Return to Food Preservation & Storage