Board index Botanical Medicine Veterinary Herbology Dog with eye pannus

Dog with eye pannus

Using Herbs to Treat Animals

Post Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:40 pm

So my Boston Terrier, age about 14, has an eye issue that I wonder about.
Last year she had glaucoma bad enough that one eye had to be removed. Her remaining eye has a pannus, a white film that obstructs her vision a lot. The vet today said her eyeball pressure is good and that the non-steroidal eye drops I've be been giving her twice a day can be tapered to every other day, unless there's a flair up.
He further said that there is steroid option that would take care of the pannus, but that a small bottle has gone from about $18 to $200 in the last three months. :scared:
I can't go there.
He also said that in a perfect world there would be an eye drop that would combine the steroid and the other one (dorzolamide HCl-timolol maleate ophthalmic solution), but it's not a perfect world.
He says it's a kind of infection.

I'm wondering if there is a herbal option to help fight/clear up the pannus situation for her. She is otherwise in good shape and is a delightful little piece of God in dog form. :love: I'd like her to be able to see better.

Thanks for any help.
Martha
The best way to have a good idea is to have a lot of ideas first.

Post Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:28 pm
IdahoHerbalist User avatar
Site Admin

I just mentioned this to Patrick (we are out of town) and he said he will chat with you when he gets a moment.

Post Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:20 pm
Doc Jones User avatar
Site Admin

Pannus is an autoimmune disease. In other words, she has decided to be allergic to her own corneas (not good).

The corneal scarring can't be reversed and I haven't had luck inhibiting the inflammation with herbs. I use a prednisone eye drop. It doesn't cost anywhere near $200.

Return to Veterinary Herbology