Board index Botanical Medicine Veterinary Herbology Hot/itchy spots on dog

Hot/itchy spots on dog

Using Herbs to Treat Animals

Post Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:32 pm

So, my Boston, age 13, got a hot spot on her shoulder a couple of months ago. Treated with antibiotics and antihistamine. Worked fine.

Last month, she presented with an itchy cheek that she scratched till it got raw and bled some. I cleaned it with peroxide and then sprayed an infusion (decoction?) on her several times a day. Echinacea root, calendula, plantain, and some ginger tincture. It made a difference and she was fine in a few days.

Now it seems to have returned. And I'm wondering if she has a recurring hot spot, not just an itchy spot, that is/isn't treatable with herbal antibiotics. I think it was making her crazy cuz she woofed gently and barked a lot last night, which she has never done.
And since she seems to want to go outside a lot to unrinate, I'm wondering if she is becoming diabetic. She recently had to have an eye removed cuz it kinda blew up due to glaucoma.
I share this for thoroughness in case there's a connection among all these things.

Anyway, I want to do the spray thing again. I have available echinacea root; calendula, peppermint and comfrey infused oils; ginger tincture; and dried calendula and chamomile flowers; dried comfrey, plantain, mullein and several types of mint leaves. I have some fresh ginger root, comfrey, plantain, dandelion and chickweed available too. And the cloves, cinnamon, turmeric types of things in the spice cabinet.
It's a small apothecary but I'm real new to this.

I was thinking of the echinacea root with the ginger kick, and chamomile and calendula infusion for the spray this time. Should I add comfrey oil? or fresh comfrey?

How to handle the itching?

Or just put neosporin on it and keep it clean?

Help?
I am a real newbie, trying to think logically through all this.

It's interesting how I know now quite a bit cognitively about these herbs but when it comes time for a clinical situation, I am kinda bewildered by the possibilities. Fascinating, a little scary and like a HUGE creativity puzzle with lots of bits and pieces to put together.

Thanks for any help.
The best way to have a good idea is to have a lot of ideas first.

Post Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:28 pm
Doc Jones User avatar
Site Admin

Mine in Bold

Marthabees wrote:
So, my Boston, age 13, got a hot spot on her shoulder a couple of months ago. Treated with antibiotics and antihistamine. Worked fine.

Last month, she presented with an itchy cheek that she scratched till it got raw and bled some. I cleaned it with peroxide and then sprayed an infusion (decoction?) on her several times a day. Echinacea root, calendula, plantain, and some ginger tincture. It made a difference and she was fine in a few days.

Good work! :0)

Now it seems to have returned. And I'm wondering if she has a recurring hot spot, not just an itchy spot, that is/isn't treatable with herbal antibiotics. I think it was making her crazy cuz she woofed gently and barked a lot last night, which she has never done.

Could be there are some underlying allergy issues. That's often the case.

And since she seems to want to go outside a lot to unrinate, I'm wondering if she is becoming diabetic. She recently had to have an eye removed cuz it kinda blew up due to glaucoma.
I share this for thoroughness in case there's a connection among all these things.

Get a blood test for the diabetes.

Anyway, I want to do the spray thing again. I have available echinacea root; calendula, peppermint and comfrey infused oils; ginger tincture; and dried calendula and chamomile flowers; dried comfrey, plantain, mullein and several types of mint leaves. I have some fresh ginger root, comfrey, plantain, dandelion and chickweed available too. And the cloves, cinnamon, turmeric types of things in the spice cabinet.
It's a small apothecary but I'm real new to this.

I was thinking of the echinacea root with the ginger kick, and chamomile and calendula infusion for the spray this time. Should I add comfrey oil? or fresh comfrey?

That'd work. Or you could do what you did before. That worked too. :wink:

How to handle the itching?

Use an antihistamine herb like Brigham tea and some liver tonics like Oregon Grape or Burdock. Here's the easy button.

This one would be good as well: Skin

Or just put neosporin on it and keep it clean?

That works too.

Help?
I am a real newbie, trying to think logically through all this.

It's interesting how I know now quite a bit cognitively about these herbs but when it comes time for a clinical situation, I am kinda bewildered by the possibilities. Fascinating, a little scary and like a HUGE creativity puzzle with lots of bits and pieces to put together.

Sounds to me like you're doing great. If you think of it as a puzzle with one solution you'll go crazy. It's not a puzzle with pieces you have to figure out. It's a canvas with a endless possibilities. You can make a really beautiful painting with only a few colors. As you master other colors, great, use them. But don't feel like you can't start painting just because you only have a handful of colors right now.
:)

Thanks for any help.

Any time.

Doc

Return to Veterinary Herbology