Board index Botanical Medicine Veterinary Herbology chicken with swelling/knot

chicken with swelling/knot

Using Herbs to Treat Animals

Post Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:22 am

Doc, what do you think it could be? I'm at a loss, but she did lay an egg today. She has been getting cayenne tincture with garlic macerating in it. She still "yawns" occasionally, and the back of her comb seemed paler.

Post Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:59 am

She has now lost the "cone" over her ear. The swelling at its base receded and it had some pus. I'm using cayenne salve in that area and drawing salve around her face where there's still some puffiness. I'm giving her cayenne/garlic tincture by mouth.
She didn't lay an egg today but losing the cone was probably stressful.

Post Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:25 am
IdahoHerbalist User avatar
Site Admin

Just thinking that pictures would have been a cool think to include.

Post Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:33 pm

I would have, but I can't post pictures. Technology is very confusing for me. I can only describe what I see.

Post Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:17 pm
Doc Jones User avatar
Site Admin

Elizabeth wrote:
Doc, what do you think it could be? I'm at a loss, but she did lay an egg today. She has been getting cayenne tincture with garlic macerating in it. She still "yawns" occasionally, and the back of her comb seemed paler.

I really have no idea without seeing it. A lot of the herbs used for worms also have activity against bacteria and viruses as well so that could explain her good response to your worm formula.

Post Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:44 am

Believe me, that helps. After she lost the "cone", I noticed she had a scab right at the top of where the cone was. She may have scratched it while avoiding the predator last fall. It looks like it caused an abscess.

Post Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:45 am

Red went back out with the other chickens last night after dark. I checked on her several times today along with keeping an eye on her while I was working outside. Anytime she could see me she'd call to me, and kept herself apart from the other chickens. I felt it was best to just stay away. I checked tonight that she was on the roost. Everything is getting back to normal. I think the rooster has accepted her, which will help her become a flock member again.

Post Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:41 pm
Doc Jones User avatar
Site Admin

Glad she's feeling better.

Post Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:27 am

That's what was confusing me. Her appetite, color, eyes, b.m., and temp were all good. Her food and water had to be higher for her to eat and drink at first, but after she was eating and drinking normally and her head was back to normal, I just put the occasional "yawn" in God's hands. Now she's having to learn to be a chicken again. :roll:

Post Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:55 pm

The knot's back on the other side of her head. She has stopped laying permanently. I'm putting God in charge, I'm observing since I never found out what it was. I haven't separated her from the flock, since I dondon't think it's contagious.

There are a lot of variables. All of the chickens are being fed fermented barley. She is with the flock. The swelling arose in August instead of December. These might make a difference in her health.

She has been able to eat from ground level, instead of it needing to be raised. She has only been unsteady once when another chicken bumped into her. She only "yawned" for a few days before the swelling burst. Now that the swelling has burst, it seems to be healing faster. We may learn something from all this. I wonder if it's age that's causing this? She is about 9.

PreviousNext

Return to Veterinary Herbology