Board index Botanical Medicine Veterinary Herbology chicken with swelling/knot

chicken with swelling/knot

Using Herbs to Treat Animals

Post Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:45 pm

Am out of money but have Land of Havillah Parasite Formula. How best to dose her? It's a powdered herb formula. What parasite could it be? I wormed all the chickens with it a few months ago. Should I dose them all again?

Post Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:53 am

First, the good news: she has stopped "yawning" since I started the Parasite Formula. The acute directions were 2x the dose for the first, then regular dose for the next 3 doses given 15 minutes apart for an hour. Then a dose every hour for 3 hours. Tomorrow she'll get a dose every 4 hours. This is continued for 3 days after the symptoms have left.
Now the not so good news: the area around her eye is swollen, her eye is about half closed, she has goop in the corner. I put some Vick's salve on the edge of her beak and the top of her head.
She doesn't seem to want to extend her neck and keeps it close to her body. I put some black salve on her throat, it seems that makes her feel better.

Normally, I wouldn't be this concerned about a chicken, but she's our only broody hen, has a good personality, is a good layer, and is a good size.

Post Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:10 am
IdahoHerbalist User avatar
Site Admin

I am not an expert but maybe some of her responses are do to things happening with the herb?

What is the vicks salve?

Does the black salve have bloodroot in it?

Post Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:02 pm

Vicks salve is mentholated ointment you buy in the store. The quickie version of the black salve has equal parts activated charcoaland bentonite clay mixed into enough cayenne salve to make a paste.

Post Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:21 pm
Site Admin

DANG, I would not want vicks near my eyes, be careful!!!

I am guessing the cayenne is what is doing the work in the salve. Probably increasing the blood flow to the area. What is the purpose of the charcoal and clay?

This has been quite educational for me too.

Teasel just popped into my mind when thinking about parasites.

Post Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:31 pm

I don't like using Vicks because she might move. That's why it's on top of her head.
The charcoal and bentonite both absorb toxins. She seems to like it. Mixing those with the cayenne salve just made sense.

Post Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:42 pm

I looked at her poop this morning and I couldn't BELIEVE how many dead worms there were! She looked so good to have that many worms. She's still "yawning", but rarely, and only slightly. The swelling has gone down around her eye and there's been no goop since yesterday morning. Since the other chickens look as good as she does and she was sick, I'll put that rate of Parasite Formula in their water for the next month. Thank you Jesus.

I looked up the medicinal uses of teasel, and the root is used for treating cancer and used for skin ailments.

Post Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:34 am
Site Admin

It is also used for Lyme's parasites. Sounds like the formula that you have been using is helping.

If you want to look at something that we have for future use look here:

http://homegrownherbalist.net/products/ ... tine-worms

Post Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:51 pm

I've done A LOT of research. I went from researching Lyme's and chickens to all deer parasites and chickens; nothing clicked. I did find out that some diseases in chickens can mimic worms. There was one that stress triggers. She was one of the 3 that are still alive after a dog attack their second winter here.

IRT is caused by a herpes virus and looks like worms in their throat. They actually can choke on a blood clot in their trachea. So now to find something that will dissolve the clot and get rid of the inflammation that caused the clot. I know turmeric is an anti-inflammatory, and I think cayenne is, and the cayenne has helped keep the blood flowing to help dissolve the clot.

Post Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:57 pm
Doc Jones User avatar
Site Admin

I'd go with the BugBuster mentioned above. I doubt it's a parasite problem.

Doc

PreviousNext

Return to Veterinary Herbology