Board index Botanical Medicine Veterinary Herbology Lick Granuloma in Dog

Lick Granuloma in Dog

Using Herbs to Treat Animals

Post Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:26 pm

Our almost 7 year old female German Shepherd has developed a 2 inch lick granuloma on her front ankle. The vet has us wrapping it to keep her from further licking. He says it will take months to heal, if it ever does. She also is being treated long term with eye drops for pannus, and has hip dysplasia that she was born with. So auto immune problems are present.

Is there anything that would work to clear this up? She is licking above the bandage now, and I'm concerned that she will develop a second granuloma at that site. I tried some of Dr. Christopher's Black Ointment, but it didn't seem to help in this case. The fungal culture is not back yet. Help!

Post Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:26 pm
Doc Jones User avatar
Site Admin

Honestly, the best thing for a lick granuloma is an Elizabethan collar for a few weeks. In my experience, whatever you put on they will just lick off.

Some dogs lick because they're neurotic. The Calm & Collected formula on the website helps some of those.

http://homegrownherbalist-net.myshopify.com/products/calm-collected-formula

Doc

Post Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:09 pm

I don't know if Schatzie is neurotic, but she is very attached to her people. We only see the licking behavior when we are gone.................well, we don't see it but we know she's been doing it. Just as I thought, she licked a new 1 inch spot above her bandage while we were at church today and she was home alone. She is way too big to have a collar, as she is a house dog.

The herbs you are recommending, what would be the dosage and frequency for a 100 pound pooch? Thanks!

Post Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:42 pm
Doc Jones User avatar
Site Admin

Start at 1 tsp daily and see how she does.

Doc

Post Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:54 am

Thanks for the help!

Post Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:31 am

I ordered 16 ounces of Calm and Collected. Do you split the dose of 1 teaspoon a day? And how do you get a dog to take the tincture?

We got an elizebethan collar. That was a joke! She refuses to wear it and pulls it off. Is there a trick to getting a dog to accept and cooperate with the collar?

Post Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:58 am
IdahoHerbalist User avatar
Site Admin

I believe you ordered the POWDER. Just mix that into the pooches regular food.

Post Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:45 pm

I guess I missed that somehow on the order form. Could you tell me where to look for next time please?

Post Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:59 am
IdahoHerbalist User avatar
Site Admin

Just make sure you are looking at the TINCTURE option. If you have any questions just be sure to ask me before proceeding. Your dog should do fine on the dry herbs.

Post Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:16 am

The Calm and Collected powder has helped control the licking! Since she is not licking, the open sores are healing with some help from a comfrey ointment and lavender oil. Thanks for your help!

Next

Return to Veterinary Herbology