Board index Botanical Medicine Veterinary Herbology Cat Fights

Cat Fights

Using Herbs to Treat Animals

Post Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:59 pm

Hello Doc,
My Moose, which is a cat, has been in a cat fight(I think). One day he came home limping and was in lots of pain where he couldn't walk on it for a few days. When I tried to take a look I couldn't feel anything wrong, so I just waited to see if it would heal. He started to use his leg after a few days of the fight. Few more days later, He comes home with the same leg bleeding and oozing clear liquid from the wound. All his hair around the wound came off and exposed 2 spots(maybe teeth impression) that looks like it's bleeding under the skin . He is continually licking and licking and licking the wound bigger and it looks like it starting to get infected. What herbs can I use? Maybe EO? The how do I get him to leave it alone, so he stops re-opening the wound.
Thanks
Charlene Feil

Post Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:07 am
Doc Jones User avatar
Site Admin

Hi Charlene,

It's near impossible to get kittys to take herbs without a fight. Oregon grape and echinacea would be great, but he won't eat them. Chances are he'll need antibiotics. Cat bites are nasty.
I don't use EO on cats. Their sense of smell is so acute that it would be like putting an air horn next to your ear.

Patrick

Post Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:48 am
IdahoHerbalist User avatar
Site Admin

Patrick, she called and asked me about this as well. I suggested a plantain poultice to pull out some of the nasty bugs. I also suggested some golden seal or oregon grape directly on the wound to fight it at that level as well. I knew she would have trouble getting it into the cats mouth, but maybe he would lick them off of the wound? If nothing else maybe it would keep him from tormenting the wound.

Post Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:24 pm

Okay. no EO. I ended up putting a ointment onto the wound and wrapped it up. The wound looks tons better,but when it is not wrapped he his constantly licking it. I Guess it just a waiting game now. Thank you for your input Patrick, and Steven.
Charlene

Post Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:21 pm
Doc Jones User avatar
Site Admin

Poultices can be very effecitive on cat wounds. Vet-wrap works well for wrapping them.
I usually go 12 hours on and 12 hours off.

Doc

Post Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:30 pm

Hi, same here - my cat got into a fight and got a bite on his cheek. I put some colloidal silver as antibacterial on it and some fresh aloe vera - he can't lick his cheek so that's not a bad spot to be bitten!
I also had some aloe vera on his front leg so he would lick it and ingest a little bit as medicine.
Am I doing something wrong? (hopefully not!)
Marisa

Post Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:09 am
Site Admin

CS is a great antimicrobial. If it is not a puncture wound you might also try some comfrey root for it to lick off as well. Mix it into the aloe.

Post Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:17 pm
Doc Jones User avatar
Site Admin

Just for the record, the leading cause of cat fights is testicles.

Removing them helps decrease the incidence fight wounds considerably in most cases. :)

Doc

Post Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:24 pm

yeah, unluckly I cannot cut off the testicles of cats which do not belong to me :blink:

Post Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:41 pm
Site Admin

I have heard that lead poisoning is a good solution in that case! :roll:

Next

Return to Veterinary Herbology