Board index Botanical Medicine Veterinary Herbology Dog with open incision

Dog with open incision

Using Herbs to Treat Animals

Post Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:06 pm

My son had to bring the dog to the vet yesterday for a large bump on her cheek (mouth area :roll:)that had pus. He thinks it may have been a dog fight over a bone or possibly a spider bite. They made a 1 inch incision and drained the pocket. They did not put stitches in which I thought was strange. She does have a cone over her neck and face though. Should I make a paste out of Plantain or a poultice and tape it to the area? Or any suggestions for a quick remedy for internal healing?
Thank you!

Post Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:37 pm
IdahoHerbalist User avatar
Site Admin

I am concerned about the open wound as well. Without an image it is difficult to know for sure why they did not put at least one stitch in there. It is possible it was left open for proper draining.

Have a look at our POULTICE formula for ideas. We have been making a spray with it with VERY good results. Make a tea with the powder (1-2 teaspoons per cup) or add 1 teaspoon of the tincture per 4 ounces of water. Spray frequently.

Post Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:30 am

Thank you so much. I made the tea and put it in a spray bottle, since I had the herbs. Can this tea also be taken internally? My son just got back from out of town to pic her up and what do you know, he comes back with a sprained arm and elbow! Not sure if these ingredients will work, but I had left over crushed herbs from the ingredients from her spray and made a poultice out of the remaining crushed herbs and also gave him the rest of the tea to apply to his arm. He did ask me if he can drink it to? Can this be taken internally as well?

Return to Veterinary Herbology