Board index Botanical Medicine Veterinary Herbology Worming pregnant does

Worming pregnant does

Using Herbs to Treat Animals

Post Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:32 pm

I plan to worm my goats with the following blend: Barberry, Cascara, Garlic, Milk Thistle, Sage, Slippery Elm, Cloves, Goldenseal, Chaparral and Juniper Berry. The does are 1 month pregnant. Are there any contraindications for pregnant does? Thank you.

Post Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:28 pm
Doc Jones User avatar
Site Admin

Yeah, wait until after they kid. Most of those herbs will cause abortion (which makes goat owners grumpy).

Doc

Post Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:07 am

Thanks for the heads up...I chose NOT to worm them with the herbs because I knew there are issues for pregnant women with some of the herbs...I wasn't willing to take a chance. I will wait until after they kid to proceed with the herbs. I really dislike drenching them with topical cattle wormers.

Post Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:25 am

What herbs could be used for deworming pregnant Does that won't cause them to abort? I've seen some that use Worm Wood for a short term thing, Garlic, DE (diatomaceous earth) & tons others.
I have some cows in with my 10 goats, so something easy (for me) that's safe for them to all consume. :poke:
:blob:
And are any of the herbs safe for them to eat on a regular basis? (Like if they were growing in their pastures).

Return to Veterinary Herbology