Board index Everything Else Introductions Hello

Hello

A place to introduce yourself and tell us what your interests and goals are in alternative healing.

Post Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:17 pm

I'm originally from Southeastern Idaho, and now live in Utah County. For some strange reason, I've always been interested in plants and learning what they are good for. My kids tease me that I talk to the plants--but really they talk to me. :P

By profession, I have been a registered nurse for over 30 years. So when my children were little, I took them to the doctor like I thought you were suppose to. However, as the years went on, I began to see that the doctors did not always have the answers we needed. It was homeopathics that reversed my son's severe asthma/bronchitis, and herbal treatments that have given him relief on the odd occasions that it flairs back up. The list of ailments we've used natural medicine for through the years would take too long to tell. Even though I feel there is a place for modern medicine, it is now my last resort, and rarely needed. Besides my children and grandchildren, the neighbors are calling, asking for a remedy for this or that. My favorite one is a tummy tea I mix up for when the babies are having colic. I have their mommy drink it, wait 20 minutes, and then nurse the baby. The first time we tried it out, my newborn granddaughter (who hadn't been sleeping well because of colic, for several nights) fell into a deep sleep for several hours. I was terrified I'd killed her. But no, she woke up happy and without a hint of tummy ache. It's never failed to work yet.

My favorite books to purchase and read are about medicinal plants, how to use them, and how to make medicine out of them (The Herbal Medicine-Maker's Handbook by James Green is awesome). So when I learned about an herb class taught by Dr. Patrick Jones where I would be learning how to make tinctures--I jumped at the chance. That was 18 months ago, and I loved it. I love The Homegrown Herbalist School and I'm learning lots!

As mentioned by another student, I feel a great need to learn all I can about herbs (especially those which grow locally), grow what I can, and know where to find the rest. Learning how to prepare them and use them is another very important thing to me. I strongly suspect there may come a day when it will be our only source of medicine, and I'd really like to be prepared. The joy I feel in learning about, growing, and using these plants is something I think comes from a spiritual source. I believe it is something I am meant to do, and I am so grateful for this forum and all Dr. Jones and others do to help educate and inspire me.

I am excited to get to know many of you as we share information and questions on this site. Thanks!

Post Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:06 pm
IdahoHerbalist User avatar
Site Admin

Please post your colic story in the Case Studies forum and the formulation for the tonic in the Herbal Medicine Making forum. We could all benefit from your experience! :P

Post Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:39 pm

I hope you will post your colic formula. I am a grandma now, but I would have given ANYTHING for it many years ago. My first child cried the first 6 months of her life. We were both basket cases. I now have grandchildren and they are suffering with this also. Any chance you would share? You could save a lot of misery. I was told by the doctor that if I wasn't so stressed out my baby would do better. You think?
A baby that cries all of the time no matter what you do would stress anyone out.
Please share and help others to have happier experiences with their young babies.

Post Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:04 pm
Doc Jones User avatar
Site Admin

Comfrey, it's interesting to me how many people I encounter that have the feeling that we'd better learn to use these plants. Even many people who aren't religious and don't have the benefit of prophecy to know that the merry-go-round won't keep spinning forever seem to feel a sense of urgency to get prepared.

Doc

Return to Introductions