Important Announcement:
Unfortunately , this forum has now been permanently closed. If you are a student of the HomeGrown Herbalist School you may navigate to the private student forum to continue the discussion. If you'd like to learn more about the HomeGrown Herbalist School you can learn more here: Click Here --> https://homegrownherbalist.net/school
The Content contained in this forum will be preserved for as long as we can, but will eventually be lost. If you want to keep something, save it now before it's too late.

FAQ For the HomeGrown Herbalist School

A place for discussion of the HomeGrown Herbalist School of Botanical Medicine
Doc Jones United States of America
Site Admin

Writing an FAQ for the school. If you have questions, post them here and I'll add them to the list. :0)

Q: Where can I learn more about the HomeGrown Herbalist School of Botanical Medicine and how can I enroll?
A: Glad you asked! Click Here for more info on our program.

Q: How does your program differ from other herbal education programs?
A: There are some excellent programs out there and I'd encourage anyone interested in herbal medicine to avail themselves of as many learning opportunities as life allows. Our program is intended to be a complete, in-depth program to allow a person to practice as an herbalist either professionally or for their own family. Our program does have some notable differences.

- Because I am also a practicing veterinarian, I have had countless opportunities to use herbs on cases that most herbalists never get to address. I treat gangrene, sepsis, gunshot wounds, rattlesnake bites and everything else you can imagine on a daily basis. These years of experience in veterinary herbology have given me a completely inappropriate level of confidence for my work with human clients. As a result, I've had some pretty unusual and extensive experience in that ream as well. :0)

- Because I am a veterinarian, veterinary applications of herbs are also covered in the modules.
- I am a practicing traditional naturopath and clinical herbalist with a human clientele as well.
- Our program is substantially less expensive than comparable programs which tend to cost 2-4 times as much.

Why is your programs so much less expensive than comparable programs?
A: Because I am able to make a nice living spaying dogs, doing personal consultations in my naturopath practice and selling herb supplements. I only charge for the school what it costs me to administer it so that more people can participate.

Q: I don't live in the Western United States and likely won't be able to attend herb walks and workshops. What will I be missing if I enroll in the school as a far-away student?
A: All lessons can be completed online. Additionally, there are video recordings of the plant walks, workshops and other events. We have many students all over the United States and even in far-flung locations in Europe, Asia and Australia taking the course.

Q: Is there a time limit for my enrollment?
A: Nope. You are a student for life with full access to all current and future materials. You can complete the program at your own pace as life allows. You can go back and review material any time you like for as long as you like. Material is constantly being updated and improved. If we make a change in a module, you will be notified.

Q: I understand that if I enroll, someone can enroll with me as my study partner. What does this mean and how does it work?
A: Your enrollment includes a second student enrollment for free because I feel strongly that having a "study buddy" improves learning and increases motivation. That person is a full-fledged student with full, life-time access to the course. He/she will have their own account and will be in all ways exactly of the same status as the primary enrollee.

Q: I see there are some modules available in the store. Are all the modules from the school available there and could I complete the course one module at a time buying them separately?
A: I have not yet put all the course modules up for individual sale but probably will eventually. If you are serious about the school, I'd recommend enrolling in the complete program. It will save you a lot of money in the long run and will give you full, lifetime access.

Q: Are payment plans available?
A: Yup. Just click on the button that says "Pay for this with a payment plan" during the checkout process and you can set up a plan that works for you.

Q: What sort of certification is available to graduates of the program?
A: There is no such thing as a "licensed herbalist" in any of the states in the USA at this time. Upon completion of the course, you will receive a certificate of completion of the Clinical Herbalist Program.

Q: Will I be a Master Herbalist when I finish?
A: The term "Master Herbalist" has no legal meaning or significance. Some programs offer a Master Herbalist certificate when you finish. I could send you a nice certificate declaring you a Master Herbalist for reading this post if you'd like. Personally, I don't know what a Master Herbalist is. I do know what a Clinical Herbalist is...that's someone that is qualified to sit down with another person and help them solve problems using herbs. I also know what a Professional Herbalist is. That's someone that can get the other guy to give him money for helping him with herbs. If you apply yourself, completion of our program will enable you to do either or both.

Q: Who is this Steven person and why does he seem important?
A: Steven is the operations manager for Homegrown Herbalist, LLC. He is responsible for all manufacturing and oversees the growing harvesting and processing of herbs. He also helps out at workshops and plant walks. He seems important because he is taller than I am and wears a cool hat.

Q: What is Canvas?
A:Canvas is the platform that hosts the Homegrown Herbalist School. Canvas is used by universities and corporations throughout the world. Enrolled students have a Canvas account that gives them full access to all school materials for life. On the Canvas platform, students are able to study learning modules, watch videos, take quizzes, and participate on a discussion forum. Canvas also provides private messaging capabilities between students and instructors.
Marthabees

What is the difference between posting in herb-talk HGH (where you have to be enrolled to read) and the forum?
When is one preferred over the other?
It took me months to realize that there is actually an additional discussion option over at Canvas.
So that's three fora to monitor.

Who is this Stephen / Stephan person and why does he seem important? (It took me quite a while to figure this out.)

Is there really an aversion to using "high falutin' words or is this an attempt to be folksy?

Is there a time limit on my enrollment?
The best way to have a good idea is to have a lot of ideas first.
IdahoHerbalist
Site Admin

There is no such creature as Stephen / Stephan. He is a figment of your imagination.
Site Admin

Mine In Bold
Marthabees wrote:What is the difference between posting in the student subforum on herb-talk (where you have to be enrolled to read) and the regular public forum?
When is one preferred over the other?
It took me months to realize that there is actually an additional discussion option over at Canvas.

There are now two Fora, Herb-Talk.com and the discussion board on Canvas.com. Canvas is the platform that hosts the actual herb school and it comes with a board. You must be enrolled in the school to access it. I used to have a password-protected student section here on the Herb-Talk.com board for students but now that the Canvas boards are available for school questions and such, there is no need for it here on Herb-Talk.

Students can post on either board.

So that's three fora to monitor.

Well, actually two now...but who's counting. :0)
I thought about closing this board when I realized Canvas provided one but lots of people who aren't students use this forum and it has several years of good posts that it would be a shame to lose.

Who is this Stephen / Stephan person and why does he seem important? (It took me quite a while to figure this out.)

Stephune is the internet alias of Steven (IdahoHerbalist is his forum name) who is the operations manager for HomeGrown Herbalist LLC. He does all of our manufacturing and oversees the gardens and herb harvesting and processing. The reason he seems important is that he is taller than I am and wears a cooler hat.

Is there really an aversion to using "high falutin' words or is this an attempt to be folksy?

Stivhen has a personal aversion to large medical words. He wants everyone to be able to understand what others are saying. This is probably not a bad thing.

Is there a time limit on my enrollment?

Nope. You are a student for life and will have lifetime access to all materials and any new materials that come along in the future. You can check out any time you like...but you can never leave. :boggle:
Site Admin

IdahoHerbalist wrote:There is no such creature as Stephen / Stephan. He is a figment of your imagination.
Stuven, please understand that some people have a hard time spelling Stieven. It's nothing personal. I'm currently working on a module on how to spell Stiphan correctly. :)