Important Announcement:
Unfortunately , this forum has now been permanently closed. If you are a student of the HomeGrown Herbalist School you may navigate to the private student forum to continue the discussion. If you'd like to learn more about the HomeGrown Herbalist School you can learn more here: Click Here --> https://homegrownherbalist.net/school
The Content contained in this forum will be preserved for as long as we can, but will eventually be lost. If you want to keep something, save it now before it's too late.

"Herbalist"

A place for discussion of the HomeGrown Herbalist School of Botanical Medicine
annett

What is the protocol/education for a person to title themselves an "Herbalist?"
Recently a woman I met was selling salves and her card says "Herbalist." So, would she have taken a course such as the one Doc offers? Do people just call themselves "herbalist" without having formal education? Would you please clarify what is going on in this profession regarding titles?
Thanks!
IdahoHerbalist
Site Admin

Where are you located?

In Idaho there is no set protocol or license. Here is MY take:

You are an herbalist if you are studying herbalism.
Doc Jones United States of America
Site Admin

This is not a profession. It is not regulated, licensed or recognized in any state I'm aware of. As Steven said, anyone that uses herbs could call themselves an herbalist.

Some Schools use the designation "Master Herbalist" in their programs. That designation only means that the person has completed whatever program gave them the piece of paper. Some of the programs are excellent others are not...really NOT.

In my school I use the designation of Clinical Herbalist. I know what that means. A clinical herbalist is someone that sits down with someone else and helps them with a problem using herbs. I also know what a "Professional Herbalist" is. That's someone that can do the above and get the other guy to pay him for it. My program is intended to help you do those things.

Doc