Board index Botanical Medicine Medicinal Herbs Hydrangea and Cramp bark

Hydrangea and Cramp bark

General discussion of medicinal plants and their use.

Post Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:36 am

Is any hydrangea a good antilithic? And if so, which part of the plant is the medicine?

And can anyone tell me a sure way to tell the difference between hydrangea and cramp bark? I'm unfamiliar with both but I think my neighbor is wanting to get rid of one of them (I can't tell which it is). Maybe I could move it in my yard and learn to use it:)

Post Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:06 am
IdahoHerbalist User avatar
Site Admin

Can you post pictures of the plants, preferably in bloom?

Post Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:36 pm
Doc Jones User avatar
Site Admin

The leaves are very different. Do a google search and click the "images tab" and you can see each. :0)

Doc

Post Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:07 pm
Site Admin

The internet is quite dicey when Identifying plants. I have seen blatant mistakes, not only with plants, but many other things as well.

Be careful with internet picture ID's. Use a reputable and confirmed site.

Post Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:50 pm

The crampbark has bright red berries in the early fall. (These are called "high bush cranberries". They are also edible and full of anioxidants.)

I don't believe hydrangea has red berries.

The leaves are different as well but I would go by the berries as leaf structure can be difficult to distinguish just from internet pics.

Post Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:09 pm
Site Admin

Many, if not most, cramp bark are sterile and do not produce berries. This is especially true in the nursery trade. I have not seen one with berries yet.

Post Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:42 pm

Thanks everyone. I think my neighbor has hydrangea so I bought a cramp bark bush from the nursery. Problem is it's having troubles. I even tell it nice things:) Is there a trick to keeping it alive? Something better than home compost in the ground? I swear I have a purple thumb, not a green one.

Post Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:54 pm
Doc Jones User avatar
Site Admin

Mine has always been really happy. Sorry to not be more help.

Post Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:57 pm
Site Admin

I have one and it is growing SO slow. I even water it.

Post Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:18 am

Me too. I'm starting to wonder if I over watered or what the deal is:/

Next

Return to Medicinal Herbs