Important Announcement:
Unfortunately , this forum has now been permanently closed. If you are a student of the HomeGrown Herbalist School you may navigate to the private student forum to continue the discussion. If you'd like to learn more about the HomeGrown Herbalist School you can learn more here: Click Here --> https://homegrownherbalist.net/school
The Content contained in this forum will be preserved for as long as we can, but will eventually be lost. If you want to keep something, save it now before it's too late.

Master Herbalist vs. Clinical Herbalist vs...

A place for discussion of the HomeGrown Herbalist School of Botanical Medicine
Doc Jones United States of America
Site Admin

On another thread someone asked what I mean by the term "Clinical Herbalist" and how it relates to other terms such as Master Herbalist etc...

So, some definitions:

1. Clinical Herbalist: One who has the ability to sit down with someone else and impact their life in a positive way using herbs.

2. Professional Herbalist: One who can get the other guy to give him money for doing the above.

3. Master Herbalist: One who has a piece of paper that says Master Herbalist on it. Depending on how the paper was obtained, it may or may not indicate that the person is capable of functioning as #1 or #2.

I'm not personally fond of the term Master Herbalist. To me it suggests that the journey is complete. There are some that would consider me a "Master Herbalist". I prefer the designation G.W.R.L.P. (Guy who really likes plants). When I consider the mountains of information and learning that yet await me in my personal relationship with plant medicines, I find the idea of my having "mastered" herbalism laughable.

Some use the term Herbal Elder which I think is a better description of someone that knows something. It indicates that someone has been at it for awhile and has some experience without suggesting that they are finished learning.

In all my years of sharing information about herbs with others , I have never once walked away from the experience without having learned something wonderful from those I was "teaching". Never once.

My Advice...

Be a perpetual student; ever learning, growing and improving. Don't climb a mountain just to sit on it's peak and hold yourself up as some great one. Go down and explore everything on the other side. Then climb the next mountain. As you go, smooth the path for any that may want to follow so that their journey can be quicker and easier. When they pass you and begin to blaze trails of their own, rejoice and learn from them.

Doc
Marthabees

Doc, that is wonderful. :clap:

Martha
The best way to have a good idea is to have a lot of ideas first.
Donnay

Doc, that was an excellent response. I like to call myself a Humble Herbalist. The reason being is, I never want to stop learning, but the knowledge I do have has helped others.
“Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food.”

~ Hippocrates
pharmer1

Be a perpetual student; ever learning, growing and improving. Don't climb a mountain just to sit on it's peak and hold yourself up as some great one. Go down and explore everything on the other side. Then climb the next mountain. As you go, smooth the path for any that may want to follow so that their journey can be quicker and easier. When they pass you and begin to blaze trails of their own, rejoice and learn from them.
- Said Dr. Jones.

There ya go. This reeks of good sense. Waaay better than what's at most universities presently.
Doc Jones United States of America
Site Admin

pharmer1 wrote:
- Said Dr. Jones.

There ya go. This reeks of good sense. Waaay better than what's at most universities presently.

Best not to get me started on what I think of most universities. :face palm 2:
Shelli United States of America

What an inspiring & wise answer, if I have learned anything , its that there is always more to learn, always!