Board index Botanical Medicine Medicinal Herbs Question about Lemon Balm and Thyroid

Question about Lemon Balm and Thyroid

General discussion of medicinal plants and their use.

Post Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:44 pm

I know it's been mentioned that Lemon Balm can interfere with thyroid medication, but I have not seen or heard any explanations on how it why, or how much, or for how long, or anything.

Can someone please tell me in what way lemon balm may onterfere? Up? Down?
What is the mechanism behind it? (For example, calcium taken within four hours of synthetic thyroid hormone binds to the hormone so it cannot be absorbed)
Is it only in large quantities (how much is too much, anyway?)
Is it only long term?

Thank you!

Doc Jones User avatar
Site Admin

Lemon balm, bugleweed and motherwort all inhibit production of thyroid hormone. They contain rosmarinic acid which binds with thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH). Binding of the rosmarinic acid to the TSH interferes with TSH binding to the thyroid gland cell membrane and thus keeps it from stimulating the thyroid gland to produce thyroid hormone.

So, the result is that lemon balm (and the others) inhibit thyroid hormone production. It shouldn't interfere with thyroid medications so far as I know. In any case, the effect is short term. So unless you are taking lemon balm regularly and are not taking thyroid hormone, it's effect on your thyroid won't last much longer than the other effects of lemon balm on your body (hours).

Doc

Thank you. That explanation was very helpful, and exactly what I was looking for. :)

Doc Jones User avatar
Site Admin

We aim to please. :0)

Return to Medicinal Herbs