Board index Botanical Medicine Medicinal Herbs Shepards Purse alternatives

Shepards Purse alternatives

General discussion of medicinal plants and their use.

Post Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:09 am

Hi!
I am wondering if anything can be substituted for Shepards Purse? I have lots of Pennycress and Peppergrass growing where I live, but I have not seen any shepards purse. I am just wondering since they are all in the mustard family, if they can be used instead? I would like to know if I can use them in combination with yarrow, for the use of stopping bleeding. :)

Thanks!

Post Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:36 pm
Doc Jones User avatar
Site Admin

Pennycress (Thlaspi arvense) is medicinal but can be toxic and I don't recommend it internally. It is good for spit poultices on bug bites though. It doesn't do anything someone else doesn't do better and it could kill you...so, yeah...not so much on my favorite herb list. It has no anti-bleeding effects that I'm aware of.

Peppergrass (Lepidium ruderale) isn't any good for bleeding either and is more toxic than medicinal.

If you don't have shepherd's purse, just use yarrow. You can use bugleweed (Lycopus virginica) for bleeding as well.

Easy button: Bleeding Formula

Post Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:20 pm

oohhh... I'm glad I asked before I used :) it! Thanks so much for the info :)

Post Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:28 pm
Doc Jones User avatar
Site Admin

Yeah pennycress is strong enough to kill cattle if too much gets in the hay. The mustard family is a little dicey...some are friendly...some aren't.

Return to Medicinal Herbs