Board index Botanical Medicine Medicinal Herbs Coneflowers

Coneflowers

General discussion of medicinal plants and their use.

Post Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:42 pm

Are ALL coneflowers medicinal, or is it only purple (Echinacea purpuria) and Black Eyed Susan's (rudbekia hurts) ? What about those ornamental hybrid varieties? One of them from someone's flower bed sent a seed adrift on the air season before last, and it planted itself in a vacant lot, all by itself. It came up again this year, in the same spot. It's got too much red in the petals to be a pure black eyed Susan. I'll see if I can figure out how to post a picture.

Post Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:31 am
IdahoHerbalist User avatar
Site Admin

Was it Echinacea or Rudbeckia that seeded itself? All varietals of purpuria are medicinal. We are starting to use the flowers. I believe all rudbeckias are medicinal as well.

Post Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:50 am

I'm not sure. I'm going to have to go look at it again. When I do, I'll take a picture and figure out how to post it.

Post Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:01 am

IMAG0302a.jpg
Okay, here it is! Or at least, one of the ones I'm talking about. Hubby had to resize it for me because it was too big. So... does it look like a coneflower? Is it medicinal?
IMAG0302a.jpg (165.59 KiB) Viewed 2593 times

Post Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:07 pm
Site Admin

Post Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:08 am

It doesn't look like a cone flower to me. Cone flower leaves are spear head shaped, pointed on the end, elongated diamond shape, not lobed like calendula, and the flower petals look more like a calendula with a jagged end. Cone flowers have petals that are rounded at the end. It is a bit difficult to identify because you are only showing a top view, but there are various color variations of calendula.

I have seen black eyed susan with flowers with a dark pattern from center into the flower petals so I am not sure what you have. I do not grow black eyed susan but I do have several variants of purple cone flower. The petals are often varied in length and color from white, to light green, to pink, purple, to red. The center of the flower is not always cone shaped, but they are all somewhat spiney, and bristley on the center. You can compare your flower to cone flowers on google image. Google is not always reliable, but usually the first images are usually accurate, less accurate identification as you go further down the listings.

Take some side view pictures, it will help the doc with identification, also take a picture of the plant stalks.

SS

Post Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:19 pm
Site Admin

It does not look like coneflower because it is not. It is Gaillardia per the link I posted.

Post Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:35 pm
Doc Jones User avatar
Site Admin

Yup. Gaillardia, not coneflower.

Post Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:40 pm
Doc Jones User avatar
Site Admin

BTW, Gaillardia is medicinal. The leaf is good internally and topically for gout.

Post Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:53 pm

Oh! Thanks for that! All this time I've been thinking to myself that such a beautiful plant that is native to the area must be medicinal for something. It's nice to know I was right-- even if not for what I at first hoped. :)

Return to Medicinal Herbs