Board index Botanical Medicine Medicinal Herbs Convolvulus arvensis - Morning Glory

Convolvulus arvensis - Morning Glory

General discussion of medicinal plants and their use.

Doc Jones User avatar
Site Admin

Steven just sent me this.

http://montana.plant-life.org/species/c ... arvens.htm

Turns out even morning glory is medicinal. :face palm 2:

Doc

IdahoHerbalist User avatar
Site Admin

We have been looking for Morning Glory for months, if not years, to see what medicinal qualities it may have.

That is until today when I was asking a weed freak friend how to get rid of morning glory. She started sending information on BINDWEED. I told her, "No, we are after morning glory." That is when she told me the REAL name was bindweed.

You gotta use the correct word to find what you are looking for.

Mind you, I still plan on controlling it, especially if there are more well behaved plants that do the same jobs.

Doc Jones User avatar
Site Admin

IdahoHerbalist wrote:
We have been looking for Morning Glory for months, if not years, to see what medicinal qualities it may have.

That is until today when I was asking a weed freak friend how to get rid of morning glory. She started sending information on BINDWEED. I told her, "No, we are after morning glory." That is when she told me the REAL name was bindweed.

You gotta use the correct word to find what you are looking for.

Mind you, I still plan on controlling it, especially if there are more well behaved plants that do the same jobs.

I think perhaps a collaboration with the Chinese would be helpful in morning glory eradication. If they would spray the roots that are sticking up out of the ground down there, perhaps it would kill the flowering part of the plant that shows on this side of the planet.

Doc

Believe it or not, this is one of those cancer treatments. Seriously. Apparently bindweed extract has been shown to fight cancer through anti-angiogensis. (In other words it disrupts the blood supply to the cancer tumors). It works better on some cancers than others.

Here is a link to a group doing research on it: http://www.riordanclinic.org/research/r ... /bindweed/

I guess the good Lord has a purpose in everything. :)

Doc Jones User avatar
Site Admin

Comfrey wrote:
Believe it or not, this is one of those cancer treatments. Seriously. Apparently bindweed extract has been shown to fight cancer through anti-angiogensis. (In other words it disrupts the blood supply to the cancer tumors). It works better on some cancers than others.

Here is a link to a group doing research on it: http://www.riordanclinic.org/research/r ... /bindweed/

I guess the good Lord has a purpose in everything. :)

Very cool. :)

Doc

Post Wed May 13, 2015 6:44 pm

OK ok... I know this is an annoying weed that tends to choke out everything else. But I read that it is medicinal. Has anyone here ever used it for anything? Was it worth having around? Is it possible that someone can justifiably view it with love and appreciation instead of disdain (when found growing vigorously in your yard)? I'm trying not to like it so much because no one else in the neighborhood does.... haha but it's just so lush and green and beautiful! And so abundant! ...sigh... I should move to a jungle. I'd be happy there) I'm looking for a great reason to let it stay. Is that dumb to love it so much? :/ I mean... it's supposedly a noxious weed :( but maybe it's just misunderstood! ;) Why do I feel so sad about killing any weed??!! That's crazy right?!!

http://herbs-treatandtaste.blogspot.com ... t.html?m=1

Jan

Post Wed May 13, 2015 11:16 pm
Site Admin

Jannevarez wrote:
I mean... it's supposedly a noxious weed :( but maybe it's just misunderstood! ;) Why do I feel so sad about killing any weed??!! That's crazy right?!!

Patrick, you hooked ANOTHER ONE!!!!!! :twisted:

Oh yeah, otherwise known as MORNING GLORY!

So it's evil and I should try to eradicate it? :( but.... but..... I thought everything God made is good....

Jan

Post Thu May 14, 2015 3:45 am
Site Admin

Seems we need a specific thread on this WONDERFUL ( :blink: ) plant. I will pull some posts from other threads to combine here.

Site Admin

Jannevarez wrote:
So it's evil? :( but.... but..... I thought everything God made is good....

Jan

Did you read the articles linked above? That should help you feel better. It does have redeeming qualities.... apparently.

Next

Return to Medicinal Herbs