Board index Botanical Medicine Herbal Medicine Making Parsley Tincture?

Parsley Tincture?

Post Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:05 am

Today I had to harvest all my parsley due to some root-eating creature getting most of them. I only had enough root left to tincture a pint, but that should be plenty enough to use in a good antilithic formula.
However apparently it didn't care for the aerial parts, which I now have an abundance of. Do you ever tincture the fresh leaf? I remember in your book you said you used it for tummy upsets and such, also for diuretic use. I thought tincture might be the best way of preserving it? It loses its culinary properties when dried so I figured probably the same for medicinal uses. (And now I won't have any fresh until next year!!!)
I have to admit my motto is kind of...if in doubt, try tincturing it.

Post Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:17 am

Ah yes I see you offer it in your homegrown tinctures.

Post Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:24 am
IdahoHerbalist User avatar
Site Admin

Yes, we do offer parsley as a tincture. I make it mainly for formulating our homegrown formulas. For personal use I would just dry and store the leaves. Sounds like you have enough for quite a while. If you do make some, don't go hog wild on it. Parsley is pretty easy to grow.

Post Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:43 pm
Doc Jones User avatar
Site Admin

The dry plants retain their medicinal properties well. You could tincture the dry stuff or do as Steven says and just keep enough dry stuff to get you through the winter. There will be more next year. :0)

On a happy note, the critters eating the roots should be free of kidney stones. :blob:

Return to Herbal Medicine Making