Board index Botanical Medicine Herbal Medicine Making Preservation of lotions and salves

Preservation of lotions and salves

Post Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:31 am

Thank you Marthabees. This looks great.

Post Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:47 am

Recently I talked with a woman who said she makes her salves with tinctures and therefore they have a very long shelf life. She said she started making salves seven years ago and the seven year old ones are still good. Is this a real thing? Would the medicine still be good? If so, how do you make a salve from a tincture?

Post Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:19 pm
Doc Jones User avatar
Site Admin

annett wrote:
Recently I talked with a woman who said she makes her salves with tinctures and therefore they have a very long shelf life. She said she started making salves seven years ago and the seven year old ones are still good. Is this a real thing? Would the medicine still be good? If so, how do you make a salve from a tincture?

I often use tinctures in my salves. Just use a tincture instead of the tea when you get to that step.

Post Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:16 pm

Oh, so easy. Thanks:)

Post Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:37 am
IdahoHerbalist User avatar
Site Admin

Don't use tincture 1:1 for the tea though. That would be strong and expensive. You need to dilute the tincture in the water.

What do you think, Patrick, 10 doses or so?

Post Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:55 pm
Doc Jones User avatar
Site Admin

IdahoHerbalist wrote:
Don't use tincture 1:1 for the tea though. That would be strong and expensive. You need to dilute the tincture in the water.

What do you think, Patrick, 10 doses or so?

That'd be about right.

Post Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:39 am

What do you mean by 10 doses? And is that 10 doses per cup of water? Just want to be clear here:)

Post Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:27 pm
IdahoHerbalist User avatar
Site Admin

Yes, 10 doses per cup of water.

Remember we teach that a dose is 10 to 30 drops. It could be more if the person you are working with is tolerant to medications.

Post Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:56 am

Thanks!

Post Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:36 am

If you make a lot of salves or lotions like I do and buy large quantities of various oils to make them out of try this information from the herbalist Jim McDonald's web site to keep them from getting rancid in storage. It works great! Here is the link: http://herbcraft.org/slipperyelm.html

PreviousNext

Return to Herbal Medicine Making