Board index Botanical Medicine Herbal Medicine Making Tincture Making

Tincture Making

Post Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:57 pm

Hi Everyone.
I've been making tinctures for my own use for nearly 30 years. I am self taught from books so apologies if I'm not using the correct terminology.

I've always wondered what the best techniques are for getting the most tincture (liquid) out of the material you're extracting it from.

I recently had to make several root tinctures from finely powdered roots and have found it almost impossible to separate some of them when they are ready. A couple of them have had the consistency of chocolate sauce!

I normally use muslin cloth and squeeze by hand over a bowl, but this doesn't work at all with some of them. I've tried coffee filters but they either take forever or almost instantly clog up to the point where nothing else goes through. What do other members do with these?
Thanks.

Post Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:12 pm
Doc Jones User avatar
Site Admin

We use regular cotton cloth (like a cloth handkerchief).

We also use a tincture press. Some things are harder to press than others.

Doc

Post Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:17 am
IdahoHerbalist User avatar
Site Admin

Muslin is good. For our commercial purposes I get a heavy duty cotton/poly napkin. Handkerchiefs work good for hand pressing or for those things that will wreck the cloth, like boswellia.

Post Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:15 pm

Thanks guys, that's a great help. When I would try to press them the muslin cloth would burst.

One other question, when tincturing these dry powders a 1:5 tincture often results in a paste that seems to dry, not a liquid like I'm used to. Is this OK or would you add more alcohol?

Post Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:28 pm
Site Admin

My take for our business is we REALLY would like to keep it at 1:5. I RARELY add more liquid. Yield may be lower but I have not looked really closely at yield in that condition...... Thanks, now I have another LEFT BRAIN thing to check out!!!! :yahoo:

For personal use you CAN add more liquid. That will just make the final product less potent and will require a large portion.

As long as all of the material is WET the components are getting extracted.

If you do decide to add more do it in portions that match the original dry portion. IE: if you added 100 g of powder then add liquid in 100 g increments. That way you will know what the final ratio is for future reference.

Post Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:31 pm

Here's another left brainer for you. Why is the dried herb dose quoted always more than the tincture dose? Surely if we add 5 times as much alcohol as herb then shouldn't the tincture dose be 5 times the herb dose? :boggle:

Post Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:13 pm
Doc Jones User avatar
Site Admin

Vortex wrote:
Here's another left brainer for you. Why is the dried herb dose quoted always more than the tincture dose? Surely if we add 5 times as much alcohol as herb then shouldn't the tincture dose be 5 times the herb dose? :boggle:

There is lots of fiber, fluff and structural stuff in plants that isn't medicinal. Tinctures are much more concentrated. Hence, the smaller dose to get the same effect.

Doc

Post Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:56 pm

Thanks for your reply, Doc.

For the sake of the discussion lets say half is fiber, fluff and structural stuff and half is the goodies we want.

If we have one spoonful of herb we have half a spoonful of goodies. If we then put that in our mouth and swallow we've taken half a spoonful of goodies.

If on the other had we make a 1:5 tincture with that spoonful of herb, the half teaspoon of goodies is diluted in 5 teaspoons of alcohol, so we'd need to take 5 teaspoons of tincture to get the same half teaspoon of goodies. No? :boggled:

Post Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:01 pm
Site Admin

Excellent analysis that I have been struggling with for a time.

Post Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:04 pm
Doc Jones User avatar
Site Admin

Vortex wrote:
Thanks for your reply, Doc.

For the sake of the discussion lets say half is fiber, fluff and structural stuff and half is the goodies we want.

If we have one spoonful of herb we have half a spoonful of goodies. If we then put that in our mouth and swallow we've taken half a spoonful of goodies.

If on the other had we make a 1:5 tincture with that spoonful of herb, the half teaspoon of goodies is diluted in 5 teaspoons of alcohol, so we'd need to take 5 teaspoons of tincture to get the same half teaspoon of goodies. No? :boggled:

Except that alcohol is much better at getting chemicals out of plant cells than your body is. So the half teaspoon of plant you ingest has markedly less available medicine than the tincture. Mammals have no enzymes to break down the cellulose in plant cell walls. We chew stuff up and break down the cell walls mechanically but we aren't as efficient as the solvent power of booze to get the goods out.

Next

Return to Herbal Medicine Making