Board index Botanical Medicine Herbal Medicine Making Mixing Bitters

Mixing Bitters

Post Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:11 am

Thanks Doc. I have been studying that module for a while now. I guess I'm trying to figure out if the bile from the liver is enough, for proper digestion, when the gall bladder is gone. Does it need to be compensated for in order to have proper digestion? Or is the liver bile (as it's being produced as we eat) enough for proper digestion?
Does that make sense, what I'm asking?

Post Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:50 pm
Doc Jones User avatar
Site Admin

The gall bladder contracts and drives bile into the gut after a meal. So folks that don't have one do have some funky digestive issues sometimes. There isn't an herb that will fix that specifically but herbs that produce more bile can help.

Post Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:07 pm

Thank you again:)

Post Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:42 pm

My family has been drinking a bitter tea before breakfast and before dinner to help with digestion. This is great, but when I'm out and about I wanted to have something to take quickly. So I tried making bitter herbal pills (Doc's recipe). Bitters are so difficult to take this way that I'm wanting to take as little as possible to get the effect. So, does anyone know how much or how long the bitter needs to be in the mouth to cause all the digestive wonderfulness to happen? Does just one taste of bitter do the job?

Post Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:25 pm
Doc Jones User avatar
Site Admin

annett wrote:
My family has been drinking a bitter tea before breakfast and before dinner to help with digestion. This is great, but when I'm out and about I wanted to have something to take quickly. So I tried making bitter herbal pills (Doc's recipe). Bitters are so difficult to take this way that I'm wanting to take as little as possible to get the effect. So, does anyone know how much or how long the bitter needs to be in the mouth to cause all the digestive wonderfulness to happen? Does just one taste of bitter do the job?

One cup of the tea will do the job. I'd guess sucking a bitter lozenge for as long as it would take you to get through a cup of tea would be equivalent. Try it and see.

Post Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:48 pm

This is pretty funny Doc. I can down a cup of tepid tea in an instant.

Maybe with time, I'll learn to like bitters.....Haha.

Previous

Return to Herbal Medicine Making