Board index Botanical Medicine Herbal Medicine Making Mixing Bitters

Mixing Bitters

Post Sun May 12, 2013 3:21 am
IdahoHerbalist User avatar
Site Admin

My wife asked me today, "What happens when two bitters are mixed together? Why can't raspberry and dandelion be mixed together?" I don't know where she read this.

Post Mon May 13, 2013 1:40 pm
Doc Jones User avatar
Site Admin

I've never heard that they can't be mixed. In fact, they are often mixed in pre-natal teas for pregnant ladies.

Patrick

Post Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:59 am

Do all edible bitter plants act as Bitters which increase saliva, stimulate enzyme activity, etc. or just the bitter herbs?

Post Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:45 pm
Site Admin

Since it is primarily the bitter flavor that is causing the action ANYTHING that is bitter should stimulate your system and react appropriately.

Post Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:11 pm
Doc Jones User avatar
Site Admin

Some of the real "bitters" have some other pharmacology, but yeah, the bitter is the big deal.

Certainly you should stick with known edible plants.

Doc

Post Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:42 pm

Ha ha Doc! I hope I don't deviate from the edibles:)

Chocolate in the raw, cacao, is bitter to the taste. So I'm assuming it is a real "bitter." If I add a drop of honey and some almond milk to it so it is sweeter on the tongue does the preparation negate the wonderful qualities that bitters give?

Does it have to TASTE bitter to do it's job?

Post Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:27 am
Site Admin

The primary action is the physical reaction to the bitter taste. So, yeah, adding sweeteners will decrease that part of it.

Post Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:46 pm

Thanks!

Post Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:37 pm

Another bitters question:)

For a person without a gall bladder, will the bitters stimulate enough bile flow that they will digest fats as the body is supposed to?

I'm wondering if there are herbs that can somehow compensate for the missing gall bladder in digestive function, that can be taken long term of course.

Post Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:40 pm
Doc Jones User avatar
Site Admin

annett wrote:
Another bitters question:)

For a person without a gall bladder, will the bitters stimulate enough bile flow that they will digest fats as the body is supposed to?

I'm wondering if there are herbs that can somehow compensate for the missing gall bladder in digestive function, that can be taken long term of course.

The gall bladder's function is bile storage and propulsion not bile production. So, if you don't have a gall bladder, bile stimulating herbs will still stimulate bile production by the liver and that bile will still travel down the bile duct to the intestines. It just won't get propelled by the contraction of the gall bladder.

The liver module has some good anatomical discussion and images of how the liver, gall bladder and intestines interface.

Next

Return to Herbal Medicine Making