Board index Botanical Medicine Herbal Medicine Making Making my first tincture

Making my first tincture

Post Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:23 pm

That's a good idea. I'm going to try that, thanks.

Post Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:57 am

What kind of blender or food processor do you recommend to powder c/s herbs?. Do i have to use a strainer after the herbs are powdered?. I bought some powdered herbs and they tincture much better than c/s. I get more tincture and is extracted much faster because the cell wall is broken. From now on i will always use powder.

Post Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:28 pm
IdahoHerbalist User avatar
Site Admin

I have used all grinds and find that a coarse grind works best. If too finely ground it clogs the cloth, if too coarse it holds too much medicine. My 12 ton press :wub: does help get more out too!

Post Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:58 am

What do you recommend for home use?.

Post Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:57 pm
Site Admin

The vitamix is the strongest one out there and it still struggles from time to time on heavy things. True, even for some of our home based stuff. Anything is better than nothing as long as you understand its limitations. Most anything will do leaves and flowers. It is the barks and roots that set the bar.

Post Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:15 pm

Do powders extract faster than c/s?. If i have for example 54 grams of herb and i want to make a 1:5 tincture would the calculation be 54x5= 270 grams of alcohol?.

You said the Vitamix is best for barks and stems but any blender can powder leaves and flowers correct?.

Post Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:14 am
Site Admin

All you said is generally true. I like my material a little coarse because it drains and presses faster. I would give the C/S stuff a little spin in a blender to break it up a little. More surface area vs pressing convenience is a balance you must figure out.

Post Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:46 am

Thanks for your help. Do you think a food processor would be better than a blender to powder herbs?. Coffee grinders i think are small and wouldn't be worth it to powder 1 lb of c/s herbs.

Post Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:11 pm
Site Admin

Food processors would probably work to produce some version of c/s. The issue is FP's are designed to process and eject. Blenders process over and over until you decide to stop the process. This gives a more evenly ground product, I believe.

Previous

Return to Herbal Medicine Making