Board index Botanical Medicine Herbal Medicine Making Making my first tincture

Making my first tincture

Post Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:51 am

How much did you make and what herb?.

Post Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:54 am
IdahoHerbalist User avatar
Site Admin

1:5 marshmallow root. Looked like over cooked oatmeal! I am not looking forward to my comfrey root either.

Post Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:48 pm

I don't believe in taking days to make things. Therefore I prefer hot soap making method and I use a little heat and a blender.

I don't use alcohol because it is too expensive. I don't make tinctures but if I did I would use apple cider vinegar not alcohol
:)

Post Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:07 pm

I am into topical. I think tinctures are meant mostly for oral sub lingual administration.Liniments exist! :)

Post Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:31 pm
Doc Jones User avatar
Site Admin

HighlyHerbal wrote:
I don't believe in taking days to make things. Therefore I prefer hot soap making method and I use a little heat and a blender.

I don't use alcohol because it is too expensive. I don't make tinctures but if I did I would use apple cider vinegar not alcohol
:)

Vinegar is OK if that's all you have or if you have a person that can't/won't ingest alcohol medicinally. But it is nothing near as effective as a solvent or as a preservative for tincture making.

Post Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:41 pm
IdahoHerbalist User avatar
Site Admin

That mass spectrometer would come in REALLY handy for proving this out..... when are we getting one? :yahoo:

Post Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:55 pm

I just made a Skullcap 1:5 and it is so incredibly dry. This herb is so fluffy it sucked up all the alcohol. Should i add more?. There will be no tincture with this at a 1:5 waaaay too dry, it looks like there is no liquid inside.

Post Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:08 pm
Doc Jones User avatar
Site Admin

Petrucci054 wrote:
I just made a Skullcap 1:5 and it is so incredibly dry. This herb is so fluffy it sucked up all the alcohol. Should i add more?. There will be no tincture with this at a 1:5 waaaay too dry, it looks like there is no liquid inside.

Yup. Just add some more. Some herbs are thirstier than others. Mullein can be particularly fun that way. :0)

Post Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:13 pm

Do you think the powder of Skullcap would be better to tincture at 1:5 instead of the c/s herb?.

Post Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:20 pm
Doc Jones User avatar
Site Admin

Petrucci054 wrote:
Do you think the powder of Skullcap would be better to tincture at 1:5 instead of the c/s herb?.

I almost always use powders. No reason not to have the extra surface area for the booze to interact with. You could put your C/S tincture in the blender and see if it looks more liquid.

PreviousNext

Return to Herbal Medicine Making