Board index Botanical Medicine Veterinary Herbology Worming pregnant does

Worming pregnant does

Using Herbs to Treat Animals

Post Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:32 pm

I plan to worm my goats with the following blend: Barberry, Cascara, Garlic, Milk Thistle, Sage, Slippery Elm, Cloves, Goldenseal, Chaparral and Juniper Berry. The does are 1 month pregnant. Are there any contraindications for pregnant does? Thank you.

Post Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:28 pm
Doc Jones User avatar
Site Admin

Yeah, wait until after they kid. Most of those herbs will cause abortion (which makes goat owners grumpy).

Doc

Post Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:07 am

Thanks for the heads up...I chose NOT to worm them with the herbs because I knew there are issues for pregnant women with some of the herbs...I wasn't willing to take a chance. I will wait until after they kid to proceed with the herbs. I really dislike drenching them with topical cattle wormers.

Post Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:25 am

What herbs could be used for deworming pregnant Does that won't cause them to abort? I've seen some that use Worm Wood for a short term thing, Garlic, DE (diatomaceous earth) & tons others.
I have some cows in with my 10 goats, so something easy (for me) that's safe for them to all consume. :poke:
:blob:
And are any of the herbs safe for them to eat on a regular basis? (Like if they were growing in their pastures).

Post Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:07 pm

We used huge bucket fulls of broadleaf plantain for our young colts. We fed them all they could eat for 2 weeks. They no longer wanted it after that and from what we found, no longer needed any at that point. It did wonders. I am not a vet and don't own goats, but my understanding is that plantain should be fully safe & nutritious to boot.

I know oregano & thyme are 2 other herbs that kill specific types of worms. I have these and a couple other herbs written down that kill hookworms, tapeworms, etc.

Post Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:46 pm

Thanks Laurie,
They have broadleaf & the skinny leaf Plantain in their fields, they also have Mullein. We have horses too & they'll (or 1) eat a little Mullein along with the plantain. The horses have chamomile & one other herb (forget the name) in their field, they don't bother with it. Oddly enough, I think its my mare, but one of them will eat Thistle (& off hand don't know which one, but the previous owners seemed to like their thistle, never seen such an invasion of it on a field that's used). They also love the Russian Olive tree's (don't know if there's any medicinal benefit, but they help kill/control it). My mare ate a bunch of cat tails that we had at our old place & Burdock, but she must have got whatever she needed as she didn't eat anymore cat tails (which wiped out most of them to where they didn't regrow) she nibbled on the burdock, but mainly seemed to use the sticker part as a way to do new hair/tail styles on her own LOL

I was just curious on the herbs used to deworm as I wanted to add some different forage options that's safe for the goats, cows, pigs & horse to eat. To improve their diets naturally & stay away from the chemicals as much as possible.
Thanks for your help
Alli :thumb: :)

Post Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:20 pm
Doc Jones User avatar
Site Admin

Mullien & Plantain

Should be safe for pregnant does

Post Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:23 pm

:)

Return to Veterinary Herbology