Board index Botanical Medicine Case Studies Knee issue with dog

Knee issue with dog

A place to discuss interesting or current cases and to request help on them.

Post Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:06 pm

Thanks. Just ordered the Bone, Tissue, Cartilage formula. I give her the Joint formula from Silver Lining herbs already.

Post Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:49 pm

As an update: I've been giving our dog the Bone, Tissue, Cartilage formula for a month now. Her knee seems to be healed but she is now having similar symptoms with her hip. I stopped the herbs for a few days to see if perhaps her body needed a break. Should I continue with the formula for her hip - She doesn't exhibit pain - it just doesn't look normal when she walks only. She can run with no issues.

Post Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:08 pm
IdahoHerbalist User avatar
Site Admin

I can think of a couple of things: the hip may be slightly damaged from compensating for the knee injury for so long. Now that the knee is functioning more correctly the hip is adjusting. I have had this happen to myself.

Also, sometime a short break from herbal treatments can "reset the clock." Or, even a different herbal treatment may be called for.

One last thing is the hip could actually be a new condition.

Post Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:01 pm

I apologize for the delay in responding, but I appreciate your response. Her hip issue probably is for overcompensating for the knee or it may have been there all along. We just didn't notice it due to the knee. I kept her off of the herbs for about a week but the hip issue worsened so I put her back on the Cartilage, Bone, Joint formula. She is doing better since I began the herbs again. I will just keep her on them until the issue resolves itself. Thank you again.

Post Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:54 pm

She may now need surgery. Going to a new vet Monday. If he does surgery, what can we give her to speed the recovery?

Post Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:02 pm

Just received a diagnosis today. She has luxating patella bilateral. Surgery is not recommended at this time. The vet didn't seem to think that she was in any pain. He did recommend that she lose 2 pounds and take chondroitin daily. I've been giving her the Bone, Tissue, Cartilage formula since January 8 and the Joint formula for about 6 months. Should I continue with these herbs? What do you recommend if she needs an anti-inflammatory?

Post Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:36 pm
Doc Jones User avatar
Site Admin

caprinegal wrote:
Just received a diagnosis today. She has luxating patella bilateral. Surgery is not recommended at this time. The vet didn't seem to think that she was in any pain. He did recommend that she lose 2 pounds and take chondroitin daily. I've been giving her the Bone, Tissue, Cartilage formula since January 8 and the Joint formula for about 6 months. Should I continue with these herbs? What do you recommend if she needs an anti-inflammatory?

Surgery on luxating patellas is always a bad idea in my opinion. Use the Joint herbs from Silver Lining (or from us) Joint Support. If that isn't sufficient, add some pharmaceutical pain meds. THey'll be ok with the herbs.

Doc

Post Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:35 pm

Thanks Doc. I appreciate the information.

Previous

Return to Case Studies