Board index Botanical Medicine Ayurvedic Medicine Curandismo

Curandismo

Discuss the Herbal Traditions of India or just hang around and play your sitar

Post Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:38 am

Curandismo, the art of traditional folk healing practiced in Hispanic culture. It was touched on a bit in a recent article I shared in another section (I think it was kitchen table). Anyway, several weeks ago several students at the school where I work made comment to me that Latino parents are very reluctant to take their kids to the doctor, that they prefer home remedies and herbs. Then I read that article and suddenly a dawn of understanding started to swirl around me. I live in a predominantly Latino community. A lot of people I talk with express interest and curiosity when I talk about medicinal plants with them. I really see an opportunity here for me to become a more integral part of this village.

So all that to say: does anyone here have knowledge of curandismo? Does anyone practice it currently, or know anyone who does? I'm very curious, and I'm interested in learning more about it.

Post Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:23 pm
Doc Jones User avatar
Site Admin

Michael Moore wrote a lovely little book called Los Remedios which treats this topic in good detail.

Post Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:26 pm

Fundog wrote:
Curandismo, the art of traditional folk healing practiced in Hispanic culture. It was touched on a bit in a recent article I shared in another section (I think it was kitchen table). Anyway, several weeks ago several students at the school where I work made comment to me that Latino parents are very reluctant to take their kids to the doctor, that they prefer home remedies and herbs. Then I read that article and suddenly a dawn of understanding started to swirl around me. I live in a predominantly Latino community. A lot of people I talk with express interest and curiosity when I talk about medicinal plants with them. I really see an opportunity here for me to become a more integral part of this village.

So all that to say: does anyone here have knowledge of curandismo? Does anyone practice it currently, or know anyone who does? I'm very curious, and I'm interested in learning more about it.

Sounds like a great place to be to learn!
Have you interviewed folks to find out who their go-to healers are?
Meeting them and establishing a good relationship could be very rewarding.
Then with your own established and approved credibility, you could offer what you have.

Best wishes,
Martha
The best way to have a good idea is to have a lot of ideas first.

Return to Ayurvedic Medicine