Board index Botanical Medicine Essential Oils Where to buy

Where to buy

Not sure if these are actually essential, but they are danged handy

Post Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:10 pm

I have heard that some essential oils aren't as good as others and I was wondering where a good safe place to buy them is? Also I am guessing they aren't the same but when you make an oil infusion is that different the essential oils? Like less potent? Just wondering if there is a way I can make my own to save money.

Post Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:38 pm
Doc Jones User avatar
Site Admin

I have a friend that is a midwife and uses essential oils. I've asked her to swing by and help us out on this. I personally never use them but many who do find them very helpful and the research on them is sound. There are several companies out there.

Essential oils are not the same as oil infusions. An oil infusion is made by adding herbs to oil (olive, almond, sesame...).

Essential oils are the distillation of the volatile oils within the plant itself. You would need a fairly elaborate set of chemistry glassware and a truck load of material to make a bottle of EO. Best just to buy them.

Personally I much prefer regular herbs. I have a strong bent toward self sufficiency and try to be plant based rather than product based. But hey, it ain't the apocalypse yet and those little bottles are awfully handy to tote around in your purse for emergencies so why not?

I also have an over-acute sense of smell..a scented candle will about kill me. Then there's the fact that if Tea tree oil touches me my body breaks out in blisters all over. I inoculated myself to it years ago...long story. So anyway, my personal motivation to pursue their use is somewhat lacking but I know lots of people that use and really appreciate them.

Hopefully Laura will chime in and give us some more useful guidance than what I can offer.

Patrick

Post Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:10 pm

Thanks, I mostly use melaleuca for my boys and myself when we get sick, but I may just have to find something else that will work as well because I am almost out :)

Post Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:17 pm
Doc Jones User avatar
Site Admin

I have it on good authority from people I respect that the Butterfly express essential oils work well.

Doc

Post Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:34 pm

I use essential oils all the time. I have a few different sources that are good quality in my opinion.
There are two MLS sources that are of equal quality. Young Living and DoTerra. I use both. I like Young Living's blends better than DoTerra's but DoTerra is just slightly cheaper on the single oils. I have also bought some from Butterfly Express and they are good quality oils. I also have purchased from Native American Nutritional. I like these because I can buy quantity for a much cheaper price. Convenience is key for who I buy from. I'm a Doterra distributor so I have an order each month, my Daughter is a Young Living distributor. I can get either of these with no shipping. I see specials for Butterfly Express each month but have to pay shipping, and like I said before, Native American Nutritional gives me a good discount when I order larger bottles, but again shipping prices apply. I get a discount at all 4 places. Don't pay retail -- I can hook you up with someone who will let you have them for wholesale.

It's hard to know if someone else has good oils or not. I tell by the smell and feel. If it feels oily, it's not very high quality. I like to compare the smell with either Young Living or DeTerra. If the smell matches then it's a good quality. It's amazing the difference between the oils. I have tried many places on the internet but none of them match up to these 4.

I hope this helps. Feel free to email me if you questions. (beverly@bshell.com)

Beverly

Post Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:30 pm

I will echo what my mom, beverly, said. I use primarily Young Living and a few Doterra oils. But mainly because they are very convenient for me to get and I know they are the highest grade. We actually did a "test" of these two and Native American and Butterfly Express and some others that I have on hand. Young Living and Doterra seemed to be about equal in the smell and feel test. I also did a price comparison by ounce and it seemed that Young Living and Doterra were actually within a dollar or two of Native American and Butterfly Express. Because of the shipping costs, for us, it makes sense to stick with what's close by. I'm not sure where you live but if you are interested in Young Living, I am more than happy to get them to you at wholesale prices.

good luck!
jennie

Post Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:46 am
IdahoHerbalist User avatar
Site Admin

I have a friend that sells Butterfly Express at her cost plus shipping. I don't have that info handy right now. Maybe I can get her to come over here and put an ad in the commercial forum.

Post Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:37 am

It would be nice if we could have at least these 3 brands with promises of cost plus shipping. Makes it a good deal no matter where you buy. All three are excellent.

Post Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:47 am

I have owned some DoTerra, some Aura Cacia, and now mostly have Butterfly Express. From what I can tell, Butterfly Express seems just as good a quality as the other MLM companies (Do Terra and Young Living), and they are a good deal less expensive. They also sell herb packs (pre-blended herb mixes for tea, tinctures or salves), and homeopathics, all at good prices.
The thing that most impressed me about Butterfly Express is their guidebooks. I wanted to learn more about essential oils, and first bought a DoTerra book on the subject. It was thin, the information scanty, and was more of a catalog or marketing tool than a guidebook. I was at an Expo a couple years back. I ran into Butterfly Express and took a look at the book written by LaRee Westover. It had a great deal of detail and answered many questions I had about essential oils. I was able to talk to LaRee at a class there and was impressed by her genuineness and desire to help other people.

If you look here:
http://www.butterflyexpressions.org/Inf ... alOil.html

You can download a copy of the Essential Oils guidebook for free.

Much of the Herb guidebook is here as well:

http://www.butterflyexpressions.org/Info/HerbSalve.html

I own both books. They are well worth the cheap price.

A great deal of material is required to make a small amount of essential oil. They are very concentrated and powerful. A little goes a long way, and it's a great way to carry a great amount and variety of medicine in a compact package. I find this is an ideal solution for those of us that are interested in preparedness and are concerned about the future. I certainly don't think they are a rival to other medicines- that would be foolish. I believe they are complementary and should be used judiciously. They may help in some cases where other medicines may not be as effective. I have found that adding some kinds of essential oils to salves makes them more effective.

Post Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:00 am

I'm going to give my two cents on this one as well. I love DoTerra and Young Living but I'm highly skeptical of Butterfly Express. They do have cheaper prices but they don't test their oils as carefully as the other two. They claim their ingredients are exactly the same as their competition but when I questioned them on some details, they could provide absolutely no clear explanations on the harvesting practices of their growers. In order the maintain the quality of the oil, many plants need to be harvested in a very special manner. For example, the chemical make-up of some oils will differ if the plant is harvested in the morning rather than the afternoon. In some cases, the chemistry changes if the plant is wild crafted verses grown on a farm of some kind. So the actual essential oil may be the same but the chemistry is different and, yes, this difference does make a HUGE difference in how well the oils actually work. Unfortunately, when following proper harvesting techniques, sometime the yield of oil may actually go down. The end product is better but they get less of it. Naturally, the farmers are more interested in profit so it is to their benefit to produce an inferior product. Butterfly Express does not have the same rigorous quality assurance protocols that DoTerra or Young Living do, which could mean they sell lower quality oils. I'm not saying it does mean they sell lower quality oils, I'm just saying there's no way of knowing. Even under pressure, they admit they don't know if their oils are purchased from growers who pay attention to these kinds of important harvesting techniques.

Next

Return to Essential Oils