Board index Everything Else The Kitchen Table Downsizing/New Lifestyle

Downsizing/New Lifestyle

A place to shoot the breeze about everything besides herbs.

Post Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:55 pm

Now that our baby birds have flown the nest, we no longer need a 1400 square ft., 3 bedroom, 2.5 bathroom space with a rent of $700 per month all to ourselves. Last month Mr. Fundog and I bought a travel trailer and an SUV, and we will move into it during the Thanksgiving break. The plan is to leave our stationary lives, with all its trappings behind and hit the road full time. This won't happen until June, though.
Meanwhile, we have to start generating income streams (online businesses, preferably). One of the things I will miss most is my herb garden, and the ability to grow my own medicine. However, I do feel strongly that herbal medicine is something God wants me to do, just as taking on a nomadic lifestyle is something God wants us to do. The question is figuring out how to incorporate herbal medicine into a nomadic lifestyle.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on how I can do that? Whether as a potential business, or as a hobby. Thanks!

Post Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:32 pm
IdahoHerbalist User avatar
Site Admin

My wife and I were just discussing this similar concept as well.

This is what I would do:

Buy Medicinal Plants of the Mountain West (from us of course!)

Research what you need

Find out where it grows

Go there

Harvest

Go to the liquor store and buy what you need to preserve it

Fill in any gaps with stuff we might have in our Store.

Post Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:43 pm

Actually, I need to buy even more books and learn to identify wild herbs in all regions, including back east. I do enjoy imagining how fun it would be to enjoy my morning cup of tea made with herbs i harvested from the area.

I was thinking I might be able to do plant walk videos during some of our explores of the places we camp.

And I was thinking of visiting various herb shops in all the places we visit, and interview the owner/managers about the I favorite hetbs, the herbs they keep in stock, sell the most of in that area, etc.

What do you think?

Edited to add: I know this: I still have a lot to learn about herbal medicine, and this traveling thing could be a way to advance my studies!

Return to The Kitchen Table